Why so many updates.....

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Benda, Oct 30, 2010.

1. granpa

granpa Well-Known Member

I'm getting a bit pissed off with Steam. I get downloads @ 54243kbps and uploads @ 999 kbps so why, when Steam is Updating its platform am I looking at a completion rate of 28% which it has been for the last 30 mins. I am not having probs with game updates I just can't play any steam games :mad:

2. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

Where have you got your Steam downloads set at...in Steam,settings,downloads/cloud?,also are you running Steamwatch or Frey's

3. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

A platform update stopping at that percentage is typically due to other software on your computer, most likely your real time virus protection. Add your Steam folder as an exception and you should be good to go.

The way Steam updates is virus-like in its behaviour; it downloads a new exe, deletes the old one then renames itself.

4. granpa

granpa Well-Known Member

Thanks. I only use Microsoft Security Essentials so I will check to see if I can make an exception.

5. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

well as for the tf2 updates I've gone and clicked not to keep it up to date in properties of the game and if I feel like playing it I will just copy it from Daz's machine
    Granpa have you thought about maybe just reinstalling steam to see if that fixes it ? Assuming it's not your security stopping it... Not sure if it'll help but have a look at this link

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. granpa

granpa Well-Known Member

That link was interesting. Might move to Norway :D

I did think of re-installing Steam the trouble is I did it after uninstalling so now I've got to reload all the games again. Of the 3 games I tried to load in the past 5 hours only 1 was successful. I keep getting a Steam error to say that the servers are busy and to try again in a few minutes. Going to try changing the download settings progressively til I luck on to one that works, I hope :rolleyes::w

7. granpa

granpa Well-Known Member

Original was NSW 3FL, changed to NSW Telstra now going to try them all one by one (See Message #26 :D

I'm not running Steamwatch or Frey's. Don't know what they are but will Google 'em:D

8. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

...and another one at midday today.

9. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

You almsot have to think of TF2 as an MMO with updates this often. If you don't play it, you can permanently opt out of updates without having the "resume all updates" button in the downloads section stuff it up like so.

1. Go to: Steam > Library.
    2. (Right click) on Team Fortress 2.
    3. In the context menu, (Click) Properties.
    4. In the properties panel, (Click) the Updates tab.
    5. Change the Automatic Updates selection list option to Do Not Automatically Update This Game.
    6. (Click) Close.
    7. Purchase army of cyborg hamster-crabs with bandwidth savings.
    8. World Domination! *

Step 7 and 8 are optional.

* Actual results may vary.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  10. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Don't know, I've played a few MMO's and most don't seem to update as often as TF2 lately ;)