Wii: Wii U

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Ebonytears, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss

Yep ... Wii U not Wii 2. The first real look at Nintendo's next gen console was released at the E3 today and, although some details are still a bit sketchy there's some interesting tit-bits.

IBM puts Watson's brains in Nintendo Wii U -- Engadget

The Wii U, Nintendo's next console (video) -- Engadget

The new controller is a rather interesting concept and doesn't look even remotely like the type of traditional controller that we're all used to...in fact it reminds me of a single screen DS to be totally honest.

I'm dashing off to drop the daughter off at school...she's one her way up the Gold Coast to dance today :D Will post more later.

Nintendo Wii U controller, first hands-on! (video) -- Engadget

[​IMG]

2. Ebonytears

E3 2011: Battle Mii Wii U Preview - Preview

Review and video from Gamespot that includes a video that shows some gameplay and introduces the new gamepad with alot more detail.

When xbox and Sony started bring out the motion senses there was some concern as to how Nintendo would compete with them. Basically...they're not. Instead of continuing to focus on the motion sensor aspect of the Wii Nintendo has introduced a whole new gaming concept. Ok...yes the controller does look alot like a traditional control with a screen but it goes alot further than that. It almost has the feel that Nintendo is aiming it's marketing more towards the handheld market rather than the console market. With that in mind I decided to run this past my 8 year old son who is a major Wii fan but also has a DS that I sometimes feel is an implant of some kind because it seems to be permenantly attatched to him.
    The excitement level was extremely high. The idea that, if his sister wanted to watch the tv he could still play! causes lots of bouncing and excited, high pitched chatter. Typical of Nintendo the new controller also brings alot of interaction. This is not a sit on the couch and watch the screen type of controller...this is a get up and move controller.
    From an educational point of view....spatial awareness and hand eye co-ordination are biggies. You are not just pushing a button to stop that arrow coming in from your left, you must turn your body and raise the controller like a shield. Watching things going from the tv screen to the screen on the controller also requires a level of awareness.
    Is it game-breaking....not sure. I can definately see it's appeal, but it will probably still only appeal to those who already enjoy the Wii. I do not see droves of xbox and ps3 players leaving those consoles to get this one. I do see the potential for die-hard handheld users to be drawn to this and to get alot of enjoyment from it.

My kids have already expressed a desire to have one. My daughter (who is not a gamer ) even put her hand up for it after she saw them drawing on the controller with the stylus. And I think that is where it's major appeal is - variety. Nintendo really does know how to engage it's users and get them involved in many different aspects of the games.

3. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

I dunno... I have enough trouble concentrating on one screen, let alone two. :p

4. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

It's piqued my interest, but Nintendo still have a long way to go to win me back.

I want to see games and I want to see online functionality.

Oh, and it better play DVDs!

5. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

It is going to be interesting to see how many new games truly make use of the new controller. It looks like the old controllers will still work, so one imagines that developers will want to design their games so they still work with Wiimotes and nunchuks.

The main fault I see with the new controller is the huge cable running off it. It probably has too much data to do without it, but surely that restricts the ease of movement, especially for tall people like me.

Sorontar

6. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

They need games to get my interest. Something besides Zelda, Metroid and 20 Mario rehashes.

7. Ebonytears

The cord didn't thrill me at all. I am so used to playing without one that the thought of going back to it is just a bit off putting.

I also need to see different games. And not another palethero of 'party games' either. They're fun but I want more substance.

8. Cindax

Cindax Well-Known Member

Im with you there Chief.
    Wii U is a Wii Not for me unless there is a line up of games that I would actually play... they also need to make it so I dont have to fight the controller for it to do what I want it to do and join the current level of technology.

Wii was fun (for 15 mins) but now we are done!

9. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Say Wii U over and over. You sound like a police car.

Yes I am bored, why do you ask? :D

Rob. and Ebonytears like this.
  10. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

console and conroller
    [​IMG]

11. Kiz

Kiz Retired Captain

beat me to it :p

this looks pretty awesome

12. Ebonytears

I really like the idea of the UI being on the controller and only having the action on the big screen.

There are alot of things about this that I really like but there are some things I don't (cord). It will be interesting to see just how it all works out.

13. okkervil

okkervil Active Member

The concept is astonishingly clever.

14. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

I will get this no doubt because of Metroid, Mario, Zelda and co for me that is reason enough heck i bought a 360 for Lost and the Damned and Gay Tony (before they brought it to PS3, yes i feel foolish now).

I would liked to of been given more console information during the press conference though , hard to get excited over the controller of a console.

15. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

BUSTED! WiiU promo footage was faked from other consoles. But the hands-on footage must've been authentic right?

Nintendo admits to video trickery at Wii U launch | thinq_

16. FunkyJ

FunkyJ Well-Known Member

No hard drive = massive fail.

Hopefully that changes before release.

17. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

Where does it say that? I've read the opposite... although no tech specs have offically been released ;)

So WiiU = Wii HD with massive controller :p

Zelda looks great! Not sure why they were re-using Wii Sports though, they should have changed the graphics as it really looks like you are just playing a Wii...

Which games have been confirmed for the WiiU?

So far the following:

Batman: Arkham City
    Darksiders 2
    Aliens game
    Ghost Recon Online
    Super Smash Bros
    Metro Last Light
    Ninja Gaiden 3
    Assassins Creed game
    Dirt game
    Pikmin

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  18. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I think it'll do surprisingly well. They've picked the perfect time to launch it, 360 and PS3 are going to keep milking their systems for another few years at least and Nintendo will be able to offer the same kind if not better eye candy while at the same time cherry picking all the top selling multi-touch tablet games to release on their system. It'll still work with wiimotes, and probably also come with a smaller more standard controller without a screen, but the screen does give them some optional extra uses and the ability to tap into the every growing pool of mobile/tablet developers.

That kind of control/input system also opens up a lot of "application" like functionality - the multi-touch screen would probably work well as a keyboard and/or trackpad allowing much easier adaptation of PC focused MMOs and strategy games where a much wider array of inputs or selection/focusing is needed.

Combine all that with Nintendo's own extensive collection of exclusive IP/titles/franchises and their deep pockets to push promotions/partnerships you've got a pretty darn attractive system.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  19. Ebonytears

I must admit when I saw the controller I actually started to think of the possibilities of tablet style applications. For example...wii U controller as an ereader.

There's a couple of games on that list Dangermouse that I would really like to try out on this system.

It is interesting that they have pushed the controller so much and not really the console itself. From what I have been reading people at E3 were really confused as to whether this was just a new controller for the original system or if there was a new console as well. I find myself really wanting more information on the console itself and what it has on board.

20. Spice.

Spice. Retired Captain

It has been confirmed multiple times now that it has a single-touch, SD screen. Still work for a lot of purposes but it won't be like current tablets or smartphones.