Wildstar - the diamond of Carabine Studios - The new MMO?

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by X_hawk, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Fenrir

Fenrir Well-Known Member

yeeeeah, I put TBA on leader name and email, but did put TOG and TOG website down ... hope that doesn't disqualify me through some random filter ... :( n0000

2. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Star Citizen: Southern Seraphs Officer

3. morroIan

morroIan Active Member

Plus launch date of US spring 2014. Same time as TESO, fantastic.

4. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

Glad it's going to go sub based. I would rather spend a monthly fee than free2play honestly.

I wish they didn't have the CREDD thing, but what can you do? If it's not there folks will just use gold farmers. Sure some idiots will still use them but with stuff like this it takes some of their market away.

5. Targas

Targas Active Member

I have to agree on the sub thing and I tend to end up subbing to a game if I spend more than a few days in it anyway. With so many F2P games out now I'd hope the community in game is better if everyone is paying to be there too. I know I'm just wishing here, but who knows, there may be a positive effect with regards to trolling and other unpleasantness.

6. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

Hmmn... I am not sure a subscription is a good long term strategy for a gimmicky game like this. The market is just going to be saturated next year. I am looking at all the options and thinking I don't need to pay a sub any more. I am sure I missed games on this list too.

Games already out and good:
    GW2
    Rift
    Planetside
    SWTOR

Coming Out:
    Ffxiv
    Teso
    Wildstar
    Archeage

FTP Possibilities:
    Tera
    Secret world

Behemoths:
    Eve
    WoW

7. Cahiry

Cahiry Elite Dangerous Captain

SWTOR went F2P out of desperation

Rift went F2P because it was losing subs after i good long run with sub based model.

GW2 I think it's B2P is separate from F2P don't think it really fits as a F2P model.

Planetside is a FPSMMO really don't see the FPS guys ever paying a sub since they don't on any other of there FPS.

Coming soon
    FFXIV I can't comment on due to a don't know

TESO they haven't released info yet.

Archage is F2P in the asian markets but there F2P models don't fit here so i think it's still up in the air about there model ( but i am behind on my archage news )

I think a lot of people want sub based games back, a lot of the F2P games lack any real substance and they spend more time on updating things in there online store then updating the actual game.

8. solarbear88

My point is only the market has changed, I don't know if Wildstar will be able to charge a sub and attract enough players. If it was released this year and had a fresh market... maybe for a few months. Being released alongside TESO, I am thinking the marketing guys for their company are nuts.

I will be the devil's advocate and say that I was going to try this game, but am now unconvinced. $15 to me is nothing but to pay a sub I'd have to be convinced the game was a premium product. What I have seen in their videos is not convincing. I am not saying it looks 'bad' only unconvincing.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  9. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

Both your Behemoths are monthly subs and have never changed.

- GW2 is a B2P with cash shop
    - PS2 is a monthly sub optional F2P with cash shop. You dont need to spend cash but it really helps
    - SWTOR was a decent P2P but is now a limited F2P with cash shop/sub options.
    - Never played rift

I think in this article (http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/632/feature/7690/WildStar-Revenue-Model-Revealed.html) they said it best. The good games go well regardless of payment model.

I also like the plex equivilant. Definitely a nice touch..... I hope it can be a fantasy EVE... wouldnt that be great.

10. solarbear88

I love how people keep quoting me facts I and every gamer was aware of, like WOW and Eve have subs. Thanks. It was not meant as a F2Play list. I am also an avid follower of the genre and am aware of the general pricing structure of each of those games BTW.

I only meant to compose a list of games to show how flooded the market has become. I included WOW and Eve because they are the 2 behemoths every sub based game will inevitably contend with for dollars. When I purchased Rift the market was relatively empty and they sold about 1 million boxes. Tera was not so lucky and sold a handful. Same scenerio here.

I am unconvinced as a purchaser that this game will be any better than the free offerings like GW2 and Rift. I doubt very much I am alone on this. And I am the type of person who would happily pay $15/m for a great game.

11. Cahiry

Wildstar seems to be gearing towards a bit of old school raid system with there 40 man raids, and that's a very expensive undertaking to keep up with raiding guilds theses days and the way they tear through content.

I am biased as i HATE F2P games, can't stand the restrictions and hate having this cash shop crap always thrown at me all the time i'm in the game.

The main reason I quit SWTOR was every patch that got released the first thing in the notes was new items or changes to the cash shop, the notes for the shop were 2-3 pages long then 1/2 a page for the rest of the changes to the game.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  12. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

Didnt mean it that way SB.

Was merely pointing out varied payment optins for a vairety of 'good' to 'great' MMOs.

Assuming Wildstar is a 'good' game, it wont matter how the pricing is structured.

13. jillaroo81

jillaroo81 Active Member

After paying more in the last year on F2P models than I ever have in any P2P MMO I've ever played in total: I'll quite happily go back to a "Pay this every month and get access to everything in the game, same as everyone else."

14. Aethena

Aethena Active Member

While I'll most likely buy WildStar at launch or soon after, I must admit that the business model gave me pause.

It wasn't just the sub, but the $60 purchase price on top of the sub. When I started EVE in 2010 (so not at launch), it was $19.99 to buy the game and that included the first 30 days of game time. Final Fantasy XIV was $29.99 (including 30 days of game time), and that was pretty much a no-brainer for me since I'd played FFXI, FFXIV 1.0 and participated in the closed ARR Beta (before I purchased). $60 gets out of my "impulse purchase" territory when I know there's a sub attached as well. I can't go back in 6, 9, 12 months and see what's new if I stop playing like I can with GW2.

The other thing I'm not clear on (and it may be because I haven't read enough about the game) is how I'll be making the in-game money to buy CREDD. In EVE, there are a multitude of ways to earn ISK for PLEX – mining, industry, exploration, PI, incursions... And players continually losing ships and models guarantees there's always a market for them. I just wonder if the economy is going to be robust enough and the crafting deep/beneficial enough to support this.

I would have liked a B2P model like GW2 or a sub model with a lower initial purchase price. It's a relatively substantial investment for a new IP from a company that doesn't have any other titles.

15. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

That is in the works. Check out Pathfinder Online. I helped with the kickstart and it has funding from the Pathfinder IP owners. It is almost a straight fantasy conversion of Eve.

• Real time training and crafting - check
    • Heavy PvP - check
    • Open world - check
    • Low/null secs - check
    • transport to move assests around to different markets - check

I could go on but the lead developers helped create Eve. I kickstarted and will play it for a few months but it's a long way off. You looking at late 14 or maybe 15 before any real info comes down.

16. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

Since players thru the market will determine the price of CREDD in game it will be something obtainable. Normally in fantasy MMO the money is in crafting, gathering, or rare BoE equipment.

BoE equipment is a crap shoot and you need to get lucky or be in a progression based guild that is pushing areas that others don't have access to. I don't think this will be a viable option all the time but if you get lucky you might score a month from one really rare item.

Gathering is also something that will need instance/raid access but not as much. The top end crafting components are normally in the instances and they will sell high. Their is another way to make money once the game has some maturity. People start up alts all the time looking to get another craft maxed. The top end crafting materials tank in price because everyone is in the top end areas farming or doing dailies. If you look in just about every fantasy themepark game the lower tier crafting materials sell for more. Their is also rough spots in the crafting leveling in most games. Find these spots and farm those mats. People eat them up attempting to push past the hard parts.

Crafting the third way I know how is a bit hit or miss. If you go for gear on popular classes you have more to sell too but more competition and the prices get pushed down to nearly no profit. If you go to unpopular class gear you can sell at higher prices but it might sit for few days while you wait for the limited clientele to come around. I prefer consumables. If you can craft the raid level consumables in a raid heavy game they will sell. You are not selling to the hardcore raiders but the PUGs. The hardcore will have every craft worked out but the guys wanting to get in that 40man PUG on Sat. night will buy the food or potions.

Oh I forgot the easy way...Play the market. The wall of text in that is a whole other post but this is how most of the truely "rich" in game make their money. I once heard this and kind of laughed at the time but it's true for some. "The auction house is where real PvP takes place." Not my cup of tea personally. I did it in a few games but honestly in themepark games I just want to bash stuff.

17. solarbear88

You and I have had the exact same reaction.

I guess if your sold on the game the $15 and $60 is not a big hang up. If your like me and on the fence, its a bit of a put off.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  18. Cahiry

While i like the sub model, I'm up in the air about the $60.00 box price, I guess it all depends on how much is released with the box, i.e raids housing etc.

There talking a lot but it does still remain to be seen what is going to make it in for launch, if what they say is coming for launch makes it i'm happy with the $60.00, if they have to make cuts to content for it tho I would like to see the box price dropped to compensate.

19. Cahiry

I have been thinking about the whole Sub Vs F2P thing. Why are they so set on this $15.00 sub amount ?

Why not have different priced subs ?
    $5 a week gets your say 5 hours of play a week, good for those weekend warriors
    $8 a week gets you say 8 hours a week
    and so on until you hit the $15 or so mark which gives you unlimited hours.

after your time runs out it could just lock you out or give you restrictions in game till your time payment cycle rolls over.

20. TheSnowedOne

TheSnowedOne World of Warcraft Officer

BTW - new video up - this one on Crowd Control.

Sounds like a good system - will be curious to try out.