Will TOG create a Day of Defeat Source team?

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by BIRD, Sep 19, 2005.

1. BIRD

BIRD Getting Started

Hi it's Bird from the Drunkards just wondering whether TOG will get involved in Day of Defeat or not.
    Unfortunately it's unlikely that DIC will field a DoD S team due to our incredibly small penises, erm...I mean membership base.
    I dunno what experience a mega-clan/corporation like TOG has had with Daty of Defeat in general, but it'd be great to see you guys form a squad for this WW2 FPS. *hint hint* 8)

2. CannonFodda

CannonFodda Retired Administrator

i would suggest that eventually we will. there's a lot of interest within the CSS division & butterfly is counting the sleeps :wink:

3. BIRD

BIRD Getting Started

4. Sui

Sui Getting Started

Birdy can't sleep, he is so hanging out for DOD-Source.
    All he does all day is watch the trailers and screenies from it. :lol:

5. wytefang

wytefang Correspondent Officer

No offense, but I'm sort of curious as to why there would be a lot of interest in what is basically a prettier version of an older rather mediocre game...? One that I didn't think was all that great compared to other WW2 games like BF1942, for example...

Are they adding a lot of new features or something, to make it a deeper game?

6. Bikkies

Bikkies Well-Known Member

New physics engine, High Dynamic Range lighting, the game wasn't ported but totally redone from the beggining, New weapon attachments.

That's all i can see from the play i had this morning. :p

If we were going to field a team I for one would be thinking about joining it.

7. BIRD

BIRD Getting Started

As would I.

8. Screwball

Screwball Just Joined

greetings

If there ever is a group doing the DoD source COUNT ME IN PLEAse.
    Just being playing it yes it is a remke but a extrem better remake. It is Good

9. wytefang

wytefang Correspondent Officer

Can you guys explain to me how it's different from CS:S which I loathe with a passion. Thanks! A simple explanation won't lure me in, I would like some details and comparisons to other good FPSs, please!

10. Captain_Obvious

Captain_Obvious Getting Started

A different genre, for one, and I thought that DoD had some better teamwork aspects too it, like the flag capturing mechanism and some more supportive roles. I liked to cover positions with machine gun fire allowing my teammates a clear route to advance, for example.

11. plebc

plebc Well-Known Member

been playing for a week - enjoying it a lot. Interested in a team.

peace

12. Basie

Basie Retired Administrator

Heh. Nothing like Counterstrike to polarise opinions!

DoD (the original) didn't have a huge following at TOG, probably because everybody was playing CoD, ET, and BF1942 instead :) However we'd be more than happy to see folks set up a division for the new game -- just need sufficient expressions of interest really. If there's enouch call for it we'll add a forum &etc. but in the meantime feel free to use the public FPS forum to discuss the game.

13. BIRD

BIRD Getting Started

Last week was the best for me as it saw the unlocking of DoD Source and the same day Call of Duty 2 single player demo came out...suss but anyways it was good for all of us. Then on Thursday the movie Serenity came out and it was joy joy overload. I've been wearing my DoD pants 24/7 ever since the release and internally at DIC I have made some efforts to see who'd be keen on playing DoD Source in a competive ladder environment. Just a thought, what could be an option would be if TOG had some members that wanted to form a team but not enough the Drunkards would be happy to enter into a "coalition of the willing" to field a squad.

For those that don't know DoD Source it's a HL2 engine powered game, see: source engine, it's graphic's are brilliant. For gameplay format it's like "Domination" in Call of Duty United Offensive. But...DoD has only one style of play and thats it. You capture and hold all 5 flags and then your team wins. You can respawn as much as you need to and you always respawn at a set spawn point on the map. Oh and DoD is only MP, Axis verses Allies, US & Germany. No Brits yet, damm.

Even though it's still early days with DoD Source as a game for $20 you can't go wrong. The maps are so lush and the weapons have some nice kick plus the updated features. I think it's a game that will over time become a modding community favorite as there's so much potential to deliver some high quality MP maps. Like with CS Source it will be fully supported by Valve. Atm there are 4 maps to play Avalanche, Donner, Flash, Anzio with more to come.

I do hope to see the TOG guys out there.

14. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Believe me there is more than enough interest here. A good portion of the CS:S division play regularly and we are already gauging interest in joining a ladder. It's pretty high ... I think we already have at least ten people who want in and that is just amongst the CS:S regulars.

15. Alethos

Alethos Just Joined

I wish I could say what makes DoD so fun, but I can't really put my finger on it. It just seems more fast-paced, smoother, intense, and satisfying than some of the other WW2 games (like BF1942). It's the type of game where I can pop in for only a few minutes if I want, and still get some intense action. It's more of a light arcade-type game than a serious simulation of WW2-era battle. But then, I am more of a fragger than a flag-capper/objective taker, so others might feel differently.

If you don't like CS, you probably won't like DoD, since I feel they have the same combat mechanics, just in different settings (obviously the objectives in the games do differ, but engaged in combat is where you spend like 90% of your time in either game).

-rez (aka Alethos)

16. BIRD

BIRD Getting Started

As soon as you guys forma squad i'm there

17. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

Ok BIRD, we will be forming a DOD:S team as soon as I can get details out of GA about it. There's quite a few of us CS:Sers playing DOD:S as well so it'll be a hoot.

To join our team however, you'll have to join TOG as the CS:S and DOD:S teams all come under the banner of the CS:S Division. Things may change in the futrue but that's how it stands atm. If you still want to play other games with DIC, that's fine. Just mention that when/if signing up for TOG and the Admins will restrict your access to the TOG game forums that you play for the other mob. :wink: :D

18. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Meaning if you play CS:S with DIC you currently can't be in a TOG DOD:S team .... is that right mayday?

19. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

Yes, that is correct.

20. BIRD

BIRD Getting Started

For clarification I do not play CS:S, my invovlement with DIC is that I am a founding member and I am taking leaveaway from DIC to play for other clans. I'm still a Drunkard in spirit, but for the meantime I am Drunk in the backseat.

As TOG share similar guidelines to those of DIC that is why I would like to be apart of your DoD Source team when that kicks off.