WoM Waste of Money

Discussion in 'Wargaming (Public)' started by mmrpink, Jan 15, 2012.

1. mmrpink

mmrpink Just Joined

World of Tanks
    Do not kid yourself this game is not for free, In order to be an effective player on the battle field (other than being cannon fodder) you will have to pay and pay in fact after accomplishing the rudimentary basics of the game and the first two to three levels you will be nothing more than filling up empty spots in the server for the paying player’s to use as target practice, I am not against paying for a game, I have paid WoT until I felt I had paid enough, the measurement I use is the same amount of money I would have paid to own the game after that what’s the point, because I can play the game I own to the best the game has to offer over and over and even play in a multiplayer game without continually paying to play, no thanks.

2. 2_islands

2_islands Dark side ... Staff Member Administrator Moderator

The game is free. I can download and play without spending any money. The game uses the F2P model with micro transactions. The player decides how much they're willing to invest. The game site makes this very clear.

The advantage is one does not have to pay up front to decide whether or not they like the game. A try before you buy model. Non F2P multiplayer games require continuous monthly payments. Not so for tanks. There is no obligation to continue paying to keep playing.

Your decision does not make the game a waste of money for the game was free. You're just not willing to spend money to advance, to win or gain the other benefits. This is your personal decision.

So I disagree. WoT is not a waste of money. The game is worth that which you're willing to pay.

Sarge13 and Buff like this.
  3. mmrpink

mmrpink Just Joined

Yes you can check it out for free... so what, it's just a hook to get you to play, I will say it again ( In order to be an effective player on the battle field (other than being cannon fodder) you will have to pay and pay) that is a fact not a personal decision.
    The game is worth that which you're willing to pay and I'm not willing to pay over $100 to play.

4. Stuman

Stuman Guest

None of the FTP games are free of micro-transactions - that is how they make their money. What is free is that you have the choice as to whether to spend any money on it or not. Most of the game mechanics are geared towards not having to pay to participate but they do nudge you in the direction of dropping some cash on it - and so they should as nothing is free these days.

Aside from one month of premium, I played WoT free for about 4 months and had a blast. I found myself competitive and easily able to turn wallet warriors tanks into wrecks. Grinding can be slow with the reduced credits earned but that is a minor detail if you are enjoying running around in tanks.

TBH, a game like SW:TOR will have you spending the same amount to play over the same period as a game like WoT (or LoTR, or Conan, etc). The beauty of the FTP model is that you can pick it up and if it grabs you, throw some cash at it, whereas a buy then play means you have to play to recoup any value.

5. Sarge13

Sarge13 Retired Captain

The game can be completely free and There are thousands of people out there that have leveled up and got the higher teir tanks on F2P.

If you want to play for free the choice is there but you also have th choice to pay you also have the choice not to play.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

That is not FACT, that is your opinion. And it is completely and utterly wrong.

You can be more than effective in any tank. In my KV, which i earnt without the assistance of gold nor a premium account i managed to kill 10 players in one match.

Therefore your assertion that you need to "pay" to be effective is a load of crap.

Sarge13 likes this.
  7. Sarge13

Sarge13 Retired Captain

Hear Hear

Boomer56 likes this.
  8. R1Pilot

R1Pilot Retired Captain

I too did exactly thre same thing... all the way to the KV on a free account, & it held my highest kill count for ages... 8 kills.

Perhaps you just need a bit of help with your gameplay... jump on TS sometime & im sure some of the lads will help you level your skills up.

Boomer56 likes this.
  9. Boomer56

Boomer56 Active Member

Whilst I appreciate that everyone has an opinion, and I emphasize opinion, we are also gifted with choice. We can play or not. We can pay or not. That is a choice for the individual and a fail to see the necessity of repeating yourself.

It can only be a factual statement if it is backed up by evidence therefore i would suggest that your statement is only opinion. I welcome your opinion but I do not necessarily agree with it.

Isn't democracy great!!!!!!

Sarge13 likes this.
  10. 2_islands

2_islands Dark side ... Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Well mmrpink, take the invite and go chat with our members in the World of Tank Division.

Boomer56 likes this.
  11. Graywalker82

Graywalker82 Just Joined

I have payed money for this game and i still do not see it as a wast of time or money. You can get to the upper lvls with out paying anything yes it will take longer and you will get killed some times in one shot. But that can happen with a pay to play game IE wow. I know person who plays WoT who has not payed one red cent for the came. This person is in the upper lvls of the game and is still able to get 4 to 5 kills per round. If you are having a hard time in the game try a different type of tank.or there are many different web sites out there that will help you with battle tactics. And some times your team just sucks which means no matter what you are going to die fast. To sum up this game may not be for you that dose not mean it is a wast of time or money. It is just not your game.

R1Pilot likes this.
  12. EnormousRon

EnormousRon Active Member

All games that claim to be free to play simply mean pay for advantage.
    I played w.o.t in beta and still play now , it's a great game. I mostly run on a standard account and don't have any premium tanks. It's slow but can be done. A month premium account is about the same price as a monthly subscription for eve

13. Primexes

Primexes Well-Known Member

for the short amount of time.... or medium maybe, that i played WoT - i made it into the medium tanks, and I found myself to be ineffective sometimes.... after spending two wednesdays with the boys, i ramped up my kills... and felt, well mediumly effective.

never spent a dime... and made scraps out of some walllet warriors tanks... like people have already said, its possible to get somewhere in the game without spending any money.

14. Riggor

Riggor Guest

I play WoT's and am going the FTP route. I have not done too bad for myself, 2 tier 4 tanks, 2 tier 3 tanks and various tier 2 tanks, all on the FTP aspect. Yeah you get the best ammo and more credit and xp, but the challenge of FTP is what keeps me going. So I say WoT's is a is worth what you put into it, as stated before.

15. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

I've played with some friends and plunked 50 bucks in to points (my limit for most freemium games is money equivalent to what I'd pay one off for a similar game).

I've found the premium tanks are kind to you in terms of MM and money making but are typically outgunned by regular tanks. eg. the Churchill is a great money maker and that light 6 pounder is like a machine gun against lower tier tanks, but against KV-1's etc you tend to lose.

The biggest bonus is getting your crew to 100% fast, but you still have to grind out skills. Extra garage space, premium account status (more xp/cash) and extra barracks space are the other things I actually spend on.

Transfer of XP is okay but kinda exxy, no point in buying silver with gold (particularly if you have a money making premmy). Gold shells are hit and miss, I've only bothered once and they were pinging off the enemy tank due to some unfortunate angling. At 4 cents a shell, they can keep em... ; )

As far as I can see, the money get's you nothing you can't get in game anyway, particularly if you're cluey. I've killed Lowe's in my Su-5 (tier 4 rusky arty) and that's a 54 buck tank ffs... If it's pay 2 win, those guys paid too much and still lost... ; )

16. Medieval

Medieval Guest

I bought my Lowe when it was on special ages ago (paid $5 I think for it) and play it when I get bored and need some credits. It works well when you are playing premium and you rack up the creds very quickly. The lower tier buyable tanks I wouldn't bother with and why anyone wants a Churchill is beyond me.

17. tris2n

tris2n Just Joined

I appreciate this is an old thread but the question is still relevant and I couldn't help but reply in case people were turned away by the initial post.

I agree with the people that said you can play for free and still enjoy/win. I treat the F2P model as an extra challenge to see if I can play, compete and still enjoy the game and so far I haven't found a good quality F2P game (Iron Grip, PS2, WoT, etc.) that I haven't enjoyed over a long period and for free.

World of Tanks is great fun, I'd recommend giving it a try.

18. theduker

theduker Getting Started

This crap needs to be removed by a Moderator. There is no need for a belligerent, uneducated, and incorrect opinion on here. Particularly when it's someone who joined for the sole reason just to bash a game.

19. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

I see no reason for the thread, or anyone else's opinion of the game to be removed, negative or otherwise. The thread stands.

Buff likes this.
  20. BlackIce

BlackIce Guardian Captain

I just ignored it. The subject line can't even get the three letter short version of the name spelt correctly.

I have played plenty of FTP games, and this one does not fall into the pay to win category. It has so many tanks and trees that to have a chance of playing even half of them does require payment. That is just a good buisness design. I have played for years now, and have not played half of the tanks available.
    All tanks play against their own tiers of opposition, so progressing to a higher tier doesn't make you more powerful. It just varies the types of tanks you might face.

I still own, and still play the tier 2 tank that I unlocked and purchased on my first day of play. I am still happy playing that tank and use it every few days. Concidering I have spent a lot on the game and have around 30 tanks to choose from, the fact I can still play and enjoy a tank that was earned while I was playing totally free proves you do not need to spend any money to enjoy this game. Its value has not lessened even though I decided I wanted to branch out and try everything in the game in a shorter duration.