World of Kung Fu - (Revised with Game Review)

Discussion in 'Free to grind' started by Tilce, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Tilce

Tilce Retired Captain

World of Kung Fu.

Name: World of Kung Fu
    Genre: Chinese Historical/Fantasy
    Style: MMO RPG
    Combat Style: Auto-attack with abilities
    Learning Curve: Simple but moves into complex - as the avenues and quest lines are deep. Some classes are harder to play than others. EG. Fan = Healer is possibly the hardest style to play. I would choose a spear or staff for starters as they can attack multiple mobs at a time.
    Crafting: balanced - although some crafting seems obsolete.
    PVP: At lvl 20 in most places PVP is forced ie. available. . I have found it uncommon - It's not hard to call upon a non-pvp higher person who will come and hunt them down for the pvp points. PVP players names change so they stick out like a soar thumb.
    Role-Playing: voluntary
    Leveling style: Level based
    Server Pop: moderate
    Stability: Have found the game in general very stable. No glitches.

Immersion: 7/10
    Graphic Quality: 7/10
    Sound Quality: 5/10
    Content Quality: 9/10
    Overall Rating: 8/10

Brief Description: This is a game with very rich quest lines, a fairly good although sometimes unbalanced PVP system. The weekly and daily events can be fun and interesting and a good escape from the battle side of the game.

Other Comments: Some people do not like the system of gaining xp while not actually playing the game. I however like the system that WOKF has introduced. You are given an amount of points for being in the game and playing. More points for lvling etc. To spend those points you go to a zone and spend those points - you can do this both online and offline however you get half the xp when offline. I'm a fairly casual player but can leave my computer on so this works for me.

You lvl in WOKF faster than other MMO's I have played which is a great incentive. Although there are a couple of "lvl's" that seem a bit harder than others to get through.

The Dev's and GM's seem to have thier hands still fairly involved in this game with monthly to quarterly updates and still introducing new servers 2 years after the game has been active.

In my opinion you can play WOKF without buying from the item mall - however I have spent money on mounts, and looting pets.

Payment options: Completely free with an item mall in the game.
    Download Size: 1.1Gig

Current People Playing.

1. Tilce - US west - Emerald Tiger - Main 44 Staff Thumps Alt 44 Sword Tilce (both usually online)
    2. HenriDeacon - US west - 9 Hammer and Axe
    3. Imfir

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Ariya

Ariya Retired Captain

Interesting, never heard of this game. I looked at some screenshots and I like the skill effects.
    Looking forward to reading your review. :)²

3. jimmywrangles

jimmywrangles Well-Known Member

Post some screenies mate.
    I'm intrigued by this world of kung fu,give me the hardsell Tilce.:D

4. Gash

Gash Well-Known Member

The ideas the name conjurs to me made me not interested - but then I saw the trailer and the cute tongue in check anime approach, and I became interested :)

5. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

I liked the small client download (about 1 gb), and it was patched within a few seconds.

6. jimmywrangles

Downloading now.
    It's on a slow mirror so I'll let it go while I'm at work and give it a go when I get home.:)
    I'll see you online eventually Tilce.:D

7. Tilce

Tilce Retired Captain

anyone who gets on here...
    Make sure you sign up to US west... (NOT US WEST NEW)
    that's what I'm on... I can give you a hand with anything.
    I've got 2 chars
    Main: Staff lvl 44 Thumps
    and
    Sword Lvl 44 Tilce

Let me know your chars and i'll start another bank in the first post

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. HenriDeacon

I'll be HenriDeacon as usual. Will be on for a while tonight at 8pm Brisbane time. Will mainly be playing MMOs on Mon and Tues.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  9. jimmywrangles

For anyone wishing to download World Of KungFu I recommend using the orbit downloader.
    The best speed I could get from the 4 mirrors provided at the WOKF website was 189 kps but using the downloader I get 420 kps which is full speed for me.:)
    To use the downloader simply install,open the program,click "new" and paste in the download linky....simple as that.;)

10. Tilce

Tilce Retired Captain

Jimmy has also let me know that he currently cannot see the US west Server. (Emerald Tiger) I'm trying to contact tech support about this as if he can't see it... then there's possibility that everone else can't. which means they may have locked the server for newcomers. If that's the case... I will be seeing If i can get my accounts moved. LOL.sigh

Resolved... you just have to exit and run the client again. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  11. HenriDeacon

12. HenriDeacon

Started a Hammer & Axe level 8 - HenriDeacon.

13. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

I am going to make some room on my HDD, and give this a try, I will probably start out with a Staff, but chances are not long after that creating a Bow.

may not be till tomorrow, lots to clean up and move but I'll let ya know IGN after I create one :D

14. Tilce

Tilce Retired Captain

awesome Inf... good to have you along... Will be great to see you in game again. :)
    Again folks... let me know if I can help with anything... I'm on 6 weeks hols :) ah the life of a teacher

15. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

started out with Staff but it was in windows and lowest res, was driving me nuts so restarted with windows turn off and a higher res, made a second character, a Hook, but misspelled the name, and higher res does not match my desk top, so that needed reset again, so restart . . unfortunately, none of the resolution settings will work with my monitor, so I had to go with a lower one, which kinda stretches it. made third with correct spelling, but this time a Bow, and Deleted the Hook.
    I see when you delete there is a five day wait for final deletion.
    because of the Graphics resolution selection, I would have to give it a low score on Graphics. like a 3/10 it might reach a 4/10 because I was having a latency problem, which is on my end not theirs, well the ISP I have to go through.

I see there are 2 US West, first time I went to the new one, second and third times to the other one, did not seem much difference, same characters it looked liked to me, guessing it is just 2 channels , but West. Good thing, West was where my better connection was at.

XaatXuun - Bow - lvl 11 - US West

I might (or not), delete the Staff, I have interest in making a Hook and a Hammer & Axe.
    I think I'll have the same problem with this game as I did with Dragon Oath, I'm just not feeling it grab me, but it could be a late bloomer too, so not giving up yet

16. Tilce

Tilce Retired Captain

bummer about the resolution... I've added you to my friends... hopefully see you on some time.
    Don't see heaps of bows around... I believe it does get better with time. Stick with the server your bow is on... I'm on that one.

17. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

yeah the Resolution is a bummer.
    what makes things worse for me, which is with any games is my Satellite connection, I deal with a lot of Latency, every game that latency seems to have a diferent effect on it, in this one, I never really know where I am .

Any ways, wanted to add, that I went to the US West New, since first time same character was on both, but this time it was not, so I tried the Hammer & Axe and also the Hook.
    I liked the Hook, but the latency was making it tough.

defiantly sticking with the Bow, be headed that way in a few minutes, the range class is working with my Latency problem, Melee, was just " WTH just killed me?" :eek:.
    I see now I could have tested out the different classes on the other servers, then made what I liked on the US west

18. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

After I was done for the night I thought I check something out, I wasn’t sure, and wanted to confirm my thoughts myself . .

Heh, was thinking of just leaving that.

Well I went to one of the other servers, been curious about the fist. what I wanted to know is if I could use the same name on another server, and I can. which is cool, because I can name any character I start on another server the same name.
    Prior to that I thought I level up that Staff I Started with, wow me likes the Staff
    So far I have tried the Bow, Hammer&Axe, Hook, Staff, Fist. Fist was the latest, and it has a good chance of being the third. I liked the Fist as much as the Staff, Hook was ok’ish, I liked but now I have played a Staff and Fist, Hook is out, and so is the Hammer&Axe. just four others to try out. Not sure when I test out the last four. I still have 2 more days waiting to delete the misspelled character I started, but doubt I’ll have started the last four by then.

Crafting is slow, but easy. It is slow if your just farming for your mats. I needed a better Bow, spent 4+ hours just to get what I needed.
    Speaking of Bow, so far I find that the Bow is the Slowest to level up. I also find I can not deal with mobs much higher level then the character. The Bow has a low Def, but a Fast attack. Another thing is, a fist has 2 skills, that have the same range as the Bow, not sure about the other classes , did not pay much attention. If you use the Bow’s skill right, you can get many Perfect kills consecutively which is a very good thing, gives you extra EXP as a bonus, Bow only has 1 AoE, so far, and it’s not that great, not very useful, specially when you need a AoE.
    The Fist AoE is very powerful, kinda trip to see, because if you use it on Mobs below your level, you just watch all the Mobs in it’s range in front of you just suddenly drop, not sure if it meant to look like that, but there is no Animation for it, has a fast cool down too. Speaking of Fist animation, there really is not much to it, might just be the level and skills I am at too. But if you play a fist, don’t expect to see a bunch of kicks. the Fist animation and attacks are very basic and resembles a sonic blast with some punches , oh there is more then just that tho. your just not going to see any cool looking kicks.

Staff, AoE ..so far the Staff and Fist level fast, mainly because of their AoE’s, also looks cool.

Eh I am falling asleep while writing this. Any ways just wanted to add a lil more info about the game as I am learning it. I’ll try and get some screen shots to add later

oh and before I forget it again , my Staff toons name is Simsiim

US West -
    XaatXuun - Bow
    Simsiim - Staff

19. Ariya

Ariya Retired Captain

On most mmo's you can use the same character name on another server, if it's not allready taken off course.

I see you also like AoE skills a lot Imfir. That staff class seems fun ! :)

I really should try this game aswell, but I'm sort off hooked to guild wars at the moment, and also waiting for Allods online. To many games, not enough time ...

20. Tilce

Tilce Retired Captain

I have played Sword, Staff, Hook and Hammer beyond lvl 30 and I would say staff is fastest to level, they have great aoe and massive defence. Hammer and Axe was fairly fast - they are a buffing class with a massive attack but thier aoe sux, no stun (bad for pvp) and lower armour. basically if you hit something with H&A it dies... but if you don't you do. Sword - sword is fairly good although it's health pot spam due to low Defence. They have a fairly good AOE and fantastic stuns and attack. Lastly hook - really the alrounder of WOKF - the hook has some dots, some roots (bind to one spot) some heals and some AOE. failry slow lvling class.
    The fist, I think is weird because fist is actually the DOT class. they do have AOE's but later in the game they have some amazing DOT's. Spear has a better attack than Staff but not as much defence - fairly good class so I have heard. Broadsword - the pvp elite rogue class - gets invisible and stun lock - if they do get ya... you are gone. I hate playing against them. Fan - poor ole fan is the hardest to lvl, but does get the best heals, revives and can actually become a fairly good pvp class as well - did I mention they are hard to lvl? LOL.

I don't know what it is about this game that keeps me playing... I think it's the quest lines. You get a lot of exp from daily and weekly quests and even normal quests that he amount of grinding that you need to do is really to a minimal. There are also school quests that are great xp that mean when you ARE out grinding if you pick the right thing you can get even more exp. I don't have an endless amount of time on my hands... but I'm nearly at lvl 50 (lvl cap 112) I've only really been playing for a couple of months.