World War 2 Online Revamped!

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Priest, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Priest

Priest Getting Started

For Quant:

Let me clear up the impression I gave you about the vehicles. Basic vehicles and planes are available from the word go. But when you reach Sgt rank, you gain access to a wider variety - bombers, and better fighter planes with regard to airforce for instance. While i think of it, be aware that the game is modelled on realism, so a hard turn in a fast plane will black you out if you don't consider the Gs (press tilda and look top left for Gs) or in the worst circumstances, the Gs in a hard pull-up will kill you =)

I'm a ground pounder, so my knowledge of squadrons is limited, but what I do know is that i see allied command putting out regular calls for airforce to assemble in a particular place, and converge on a particular target.

eg in msg bar appears

"Allied HC: Lexfire. Bomber/Fighter Squadron forming at Montfaucon. Target - Consenvoye. Officer in Charge: Flyboy. Tune Channel 60."

I suggest going to our squad forum, and send a pm to Grider (best fighter pilot on the allied side) regarding your question.

EDIT: Getting off the ground, and landing take some practice lol, so read 'Flying a plane' at the Online Game Manual below.

http://training.wwiionline.com/scripts/training/ogm.jsp;jsessionid=E2D285B630B38CDD8699CD9491614BDB

For Fox:

1. You can change your name after creation, but it cost $14 or something so i hear. If you've started up your free-trial already and dislike your name, you can get another free-trial acct and hence another name by submitting an application from a different email address. Its worthwhile to give your name a bit of thought I guess, but having said that, theres heaps of bizarre incomprehendible names on the server lol.

Rather than tag your name like we do in BF1942, in ww2ol your name, floating above your head, shows up a differnt color to the ppl in your squad. You also have a special squad specific text channel and TS location. Your name can only be 6 letters long i think (no idea why!), so dont worry about tagging yourself.

2. There are many rapid deaths to be had, and no waiting to respawn. Attrition plays an important part in the game, so unlike BF1942 etc, supplies of everything are limited. So, after all the tanks, machine gun infantry or spitfires are used up, everyones a rifleman - and in this game 1 good shot in the chest = death. Its a persistent world, so the map can be quite different if one side succeeds in a major offensive while you're in bed ;). Heres a link to the current Situation Map
    http://www.alliedhq.wwiionline.com/blitz.php

Also, i think bable and transcul would agree that if our squad seems not to your liking, please dont feel like you're letting us down or anything by not joining. It's a new squad (2 months old?), hence growing at the moment, and thus we're actively recruiting, but as we said earlier those who are in it comprise some of the best in the game. If you like the game, even the squad, and want to invite your friends to join, dont hesitate, bec with our experience, newbs dont stay newbs for long. What's most important to us is that you enjoy the game, and we think It'd be fantastic if TOG could field a team for action in the Aussie timezone, as ww2 is a game dominated by older gamers. In fact, while i think of it, we need a regular 3e Grenadier Squad Leader to direct small actions in the Aussie timezone. At present that role is performed by leaders of other platoons. Perhaps someone from TOG would like to assert themselves in that role? I'd be happy to train them up and follow them to my impending death.

2. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Thanks. I'm in.

I've got 14 days to get hooked (starting Monday) ...

3. Belta

Belta Active Member

Keep us informed FOX :wink:

4. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I'll try to check that channel tonight and get involved.

One thing I did see was some planes dogfighting, and it looked very cool from the ground. Also, the sounds are very realistic and well done!

5. Fox

Will do ...

6. Priest

Priest Getting Started

Fox, I'd be more than happy to join you on Monday to show you the ropes if ur interested. If you're planning to play during the day, let me know and I'll be there. Otherwise, I'll be on in the evening and you'll find me on channel 71, as Priest, if you need any help.

If you want to Lone Wolf it, and this info should help you too Karmajay, and Quant, the following will likely prove useful:

When choosing a location to spawn in at, for instant action scour the map for a Town/city with a large grey Shield icon centred on it, a Communication Tower icon centred on it, or an Explosion icon centred over it. All of these are temporary signatures (therefore may or may not be present on the map) that indicate a battle is ensuing within the town itself. Otherwise, a town without these indicators but with red flashing infantry and/or tank icons next to it indicate that enemy troops/tanks are present within 1 km of the town.

Also, blue messages will update on your text bar to indicate at which towns troops/tanks have just been sighted. And, allied commanders will periodically call for troops to attack/defend different sectors. So, if you're finding the map confusing and rather large (its massive), just wait a bit for one of these messages to appear, then go investigate.

Just b4 u spawn in, have a look at where the enemy towns are in relation to where you are intending to deploy. This will let you know from which general direction to expect an engagement.

When you spawn in, press M for Map. This and your compass will allow you to orient yourself towards the suspected enemy. If you have taken a 'mission', the blue arrow points towards your spawn point, the red arrow points towards your destination. If its a defence mission they will point to the same place. A mission is considered completed after 10 mins, so at that time you may return to your place of entry and despawn (ESC) to recieve a mission success which contributes to your next rank. You dont have to kill anything as an infantryman to achieve a successful mission, just live for 10 mins.

You will be able to see the tags of friendly players, which can be useful to follow if you're a bit lost or want some backup. However, with the exception of enemy planes, the enemy have no tags, they can be crawling through the grass right next to you, and you wouldnt know it unless you keep your ears peeled. Every vehicle in the game has unique authentic sounds, so with time you will be able to identify friend from foe by your ears alone. Further, there is no way of knowing whether you killed an enemy or otherwise, until you yourself despawn (press ESC or die :) ). It may be hard to spot the enemy at a distance until you get used to knowing what ur looking for.

Finally, don't hesitate to ask questions ingame. Indicate you're new at each place you spawn in and ask your questions. Unless hard-pressed, people are generally very helpful. channel 99 is a dedicated help channel, so if you've got questions that are going unanswered and you dont mind waiting a bit to get an answer for, ask them there.

What a mouthful! Good luck fellas. I hope you enjoy the game, and enjoy the amount there is to learn. I look forward to seeing you on the field.

7. bable

bable Just Joined

Just as an FYI, WW2OL is being patched today. Here is the readme:

=====================
    World War Two Online
    =====================
    Version 1.15.0.255 (Release Candidate) 07-21-04

Infantry: (Please visit the Production Notes forum for information regarding the ATRs)
    -Added new ATR troopers for French, British and German countries
    -Added Boys ATR
    -Added PzB39 ATR
    -Removed ability to deploy lmg/atr while standing on an enemy vehicle
    -Added new sounds for ATRs
    -Adjusted all rifles ammunition timeout to a minimum of 1000m(the distance at which infantry is drawn)

Vehicles:
    -Added descriptions for French and German Bofors guns
    -Adjusted critical components for Z34
    -Adjusted flight and damage models for the Destroyer (initial pass)
    -Corrected weight for 5 inch naval shell
    -Fixed sound issue with Vickers
    -Fixed Daimler mantlet hits causing ammo explosion
    -Fixed a hitmap component in R35
    -Fixed a hitmap component in SdKfz232
    -Fixed collider issue which caused some rounds not to strike external components (MG/HE bug)

Terrain:
    -Added new garage building
    -Added new radial clutter object system (non concealing)
    -Added Settings adjustments to new radial clutter objects (players can turn on/off)
    -Added mipapping to clutter objects
    -Added new clutter objects (concealing)
    -Increased LOD range of clutter objects to 1000m
    -Fixed reported problems with badly terrainized forest clumps
    -Fixed reported problems with badly terrainized ground berms and ditches
    -Fixed reported supply problems in towns
    -Fixed reported spawn problem with FBs
    -Fixed reported problems with duplicate capture tables

Global:
    -Optimized pixel shader routines for improved performance
    -New Settings.exe with adjustments for radial clutter
    -Removed option from settings.exe to disable small clutter
    -Fixed detected memory leaks

Host:
    -Added ".fbs" command - similar to .own, describes who has which fbs for the current or named town
    (".fbs" lists the closest town, ".fbs bergen op zoom" to list a town by name)
    -Increased side lock to 2 hours
    -Improved side-locking system
    -Improved range for destroyed and ownership state updates
    -Fixed a crash bug in the map host
    -Fixed several causes for ghosted vehicles
    -Fixed a cause for loss of building state updates
    -Fixed tuning to "origin", "hq" and "gm" by name
    -Added auto-recovery system to map host in case of additional crashes (already in place)

8. Quant

Quant Active Member

I like realistic physics, G-loadings are a fact of life in good flight sims and its good they went to the trouble of simulating it. I will give it a whirl by downloading it next week and get a trial account going by next Thursday night so I can meet up with you guys ingame to learn abit more about it.

Can you practice offline (ie. the Vehicles)?

9. Priest

Priest Getting Started

Yep u can practice with all things in offline mode. Look forward to seeing you next Thursday night.

10. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Played with some of you last night.

Had fun, I see the potential..I just need to get in some actual battles!

For those that need info, although the graphics are a bit dated, the world IS huge! I could see the fun in a coordinated squad protecting a town form the oposite side.

It is tough to jump out of a more twitchy game like COD into it, but I will continue to test it out!

Thanks again!

11. Priest

Priest Getting Started

I know what you mean Karma. While you were ingame i was listening to your unit in teamspeak, and you guys were taken out a couple of times by assault guns with an effective range of 2km! My infantry binoculars (which you earn with Capt rank) barely even see that far. It's a bugger when you come up against equipment like that.

I played the free trial in three consecutive years before i finally subscribed. The funny thing is that it never left my mind during the time inbetween free trails, while happily playing BF1942, Americas Army, and Call of Duty. All the time during those games, I really wanted some realism and large scale coordinated warfare. So i thought "what the hell, I'm really going to get in there and learn the ins and outs of ww2 online". I think its when you really see your actions having an impact on the world map, develop some expertise with a particular instrument, and experience your first large scale attack or defence that the hooks dig in.

This weekend will likely give you a good taste of the large scale actions, and I hope you enjoy it!

I've used keymapper to setup my controls just like BF1942, AA and CoD, and increased the mouse sensitivity, but indeed it certainly isnt as smooth or reactive as CoD!

Some hints for graphic set up.
    WW2 works best in OpenGL so if you have the option on your graphics settings, switch to it. Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic filtering make a large difference to the graphics, so experiment with these to find an acceptable frame rate. In my ww2 settings, I've disabled the anti-aliasing, having set my card to override game settings, and now im happily on 1600x1200x16 with x4 anti-aliasing and x4 anisotropic filters (low i know, but for my radeon 9600 this is the best i can get with avg 20+ fps.)

Good on you for giving it a go m8!

12. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

The wierdest thing has happened.

I downloaded the game, and its update client. Signed up. Got the password and all the rest sorted out. Installed the thing, got the updates, then ran it.

Except everything on the screen is upside down!

I kid you not! Even the mouse pointer! Absolutely everything is inverted and reversed. Then when I quit, even my windows desktop is inverted too.

I will try the help sections and forums to see if this has happened before. It is the wierdest thing that I have ever seen happen on my pooter.

13. Quant

Quant Active Member

Installed and had a bit of fun mucking about offline.

Question, where is the sample Keylogger profiles?

Frustrating trying to match my controls in BF1942 to the WW2O settings as the keylogger config is complex and not intuitive in configuring joystick settings.

14. UberStein

UberStein Getting Started

I'm hooked! Took a bit of time to get used to things, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Handle is Uberstn.

Need to find some of ya in game sometime...

15. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Good to see ya Uber!

Thanks guys for the friendliness while I was trying the game out.

I think the idea is great! The problem is, whenever I jump on, it is extremely hard as infantry to find the action!

So I appreciate it, but not sure if I will continue.

16. UberStein

UberStein Getting Started

I dont seem to have any trouble finding trouble...anytime I approach infantry, I get shot up, lol. I need to get with a good squad, and stop this lone wolf nonsense =)

That said, I do have a few kills under my belt...

Tried the tank (hooked up my ole trusty MS Precision 2 Joystick) and it was fun, but Im guessing it'd be a bit more effective with an actual crew...got killed without even knowing from where several times in the tank. Actually, I'd love to join a tank crew at some point...

17. Priest

Priest Getting Started

G'day Guys, I've replied to each of the above posts in the one post below.

18. Priest

Priest Getting Started

For Spectre8:

That is utterly bizarre! I've never heard of that happening before. I can't even imagine what caused that, lol. I can only suggest trying the WW2 Community Support forums for possible helpage.
    http://discussions.playnet.com/index.php

Let me know how you go and ill pass on your efforts to the ww2 online community manager (he regularly plays in our squad), the solution sounds like it might be very useful to make a sticky somewhere in the depths of the ww2 forums.

For Karmajay:

Was good to see you in there! I'm sorry you were unable to find the action you were looking for. I have to say that I'm really surprised that you found the game so quiet! How frustrating for you!! The action was extremely intense last weekend. Perhaps you need to give it a little bit more time? (Call me a pushy bastard, I know. Bloody fanboy ;) ) I posted earlier in this discussion about how to find action, and I'll also post a link here to a good "Getting Started Guide".
    http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/world_war_2_online_guide/

Having said all that, I'm really glad you gave it ago, and thanks for checking us out, Karmajay :)

For Quant:

Keymapper is quite complex isnt it. Some flyers have an amazing number of macro commands strapped to one button. Have a look at Race's 'Bombing with the Blen' video for an eg.
    http://www.bkbhq.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=176

Also, Check the 2nd/3rd page of this .pdf for ideas for joystick setup
    http://www.hh.se/stud/u98jobj/cougar/readme.pdf

also checkout
    CFML CODING AND ADVANCED TIPS AND TRICKS MANUAL
    http://www.4n4rchy.com/spoon/downloads.htm

I've pm'ed G-Rider for advice on flight setup. He's the best allied pilot in the game, so I'm sure his advice will be valuable. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him.

For Uberstein:

Tune Ch 71 ingame and broadcast something to the effect of "I'm new to the game and am checking out your squad (La Garde Imperiale), can I partner up with one of you guys".

To find us on Teamspeak2

endround.com
    pwd: axispwnd

After you've logged in to endround.com on TS2, we're in
    III Corps -> 1st Inf Reg 3rd.

If LGI don't respond for some reason (they might be intensely occupied in an operation), have a look around the other divisions in the TS channel, and drop in to a full looking group, announce yourself and someone will be sure to direct you to coordinated action. In addition to La Garde Imperiale (LGI), the Black Knight Brigade (BKB), the 43rd, and 101st are all very active squads during your timezone.

Look forward to seeing you on the field!
    Priest

19. Priest

Priest Getting Started

For anyone in the Australian timezone, Transcul and I (Priest) will be on tonight after 9pm Melbourne time for some training, and you're welcome to join us. Tune to Channel 71 (type 71 into box left of the ingame text bar, and hit enter) and say Hi! If you get no response the first time, say Hi again :)

20. Fox

I'm downloading the game as we speak.

I'll join TS2 at around 9:30pm -> 10pm for an hour or two.

I shan't interupt but if you see me on-line - ask the poor soul how I'm going. It'll be my first attempt at connect so I'll be a little confused no doubt. :oops: