WoW GameSpot review

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by GhostDog, Nov 30, 2004.

1. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

2. Ronin

Ronin Getting Started

Looks like everyone is saying this is one great game, and Blizzard has the reputation and the first day sales to back it up. Although alot of MMORPG's get really good reviews and turn out bad. But If I had to trust any MMORPG company it would be Blizzard, hands down.

3. neimad

neimad Well-Known Member

Compared to the EQ2 review score of 7.8... makes WoW look pretty good.

Must get hold of one of those 10 day passes and test WoW out.

4. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Yeah but the comparison to EQ doesn't really work on these reviews I find.

The main reason that EQ didn't get a higher score is because they find the game to be not that innovative as compared to what is existing out there.
    They do make it clear in the EQ review as well, if you like current MMO's you'll love EQ2.

Certainly don't want to take away from the WoW score ,with that score from GS I have no doubt that it is an excellent game.

5. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

Well that Father...and they left out this from Gamespy...apparently WoW isn't working very well.....(in the interest of debate, of course)

Fargo's Thought for the Day: * Mail Fargo
    WoW vs. EQII: Battle of the MMOGs
    We love sanctified debate here at GameSpy, so This week's GameSpy Grudge pits World of Warcraft against EverQuest II in a rematch of a similar Grudge we did a few months before either game was out. Now they're both on shelves: will WoW fans win again? VOTE and then Hit the forums!

One thing that surprises me is the amount of support EQ is actually getting in the forums, even as the vote predictably swings toward Blizzard's new epic. Performance problems might have something to do with it: "WOW is going to win this for 1 simple reason," jokes GameSpy reader Xris2000: "All the EQ Fanboys are busy actually playing EQ2. While a ton of the WOW fans are stuck reading this forum while they wait in line to get onto a server for thier great game."

WoW's performance problems are a real issue here at GameSpy. We've already posted our first impressions of the game, but we want to give it a legitimate review. Fact is, it's a brilliant game when it works, but it's still riddled with performance issues. Are they permanent? Should we give the game a lower score because of them? We're still playing and evaluating so that you get the best possible review.

-Fargo

6. Ijs

Ijs Active Member

More than 80 WoW servers are up and running now, more than double from their initial release one week ago.

Are there queues during prime time? Yep, on some of the original servers -- but only because people are reluctant to find new homes.

Performance issues in-game? Minimal, to the point of irrelevancy. Vast majority of the people find it runs smooth the majority of the time. There are exceptions of course, same in any game.

You think different? Well, I beg to differ.

WoW deserved its score. I don't know about EQ2, because I'm not logging into that game 7 days a week, for hours at a time.

7. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

I don't think different...I didn't have any of those issues with stress test and open beta of WoW...that is the Gamespy pre-review waiting till they can fully play the game to provide a full review.

I could probably surf a bit and find just as high as marks for EQ2, but over the years I have found that certain sites lean heavily one way or the other, so I don't bother. I try them myself and find what I like. You can find lots of my WoW comments elsewhere, so I won't repeat them. Some of it I liked, some of it not...but I do think if you are going to advertise glowing reviews to those who might go out and buy the game for lots of $$, you should also mention the problems currently ongoing...

8. Ronin

Ronin Getting Started

That is certainly the best way to do it Twiz. Base your decisions on your opinions. Other's insight and reviews may help but ultimately its you who is paying and playing. I think Blizzard has had these performance problems because they opened 37 new servers the first day! That is an incredible feat and it certainly takes time to go back to normal. Blizzard didnt expect this much popularity but once they coup with the new servers I think they will be fine. In fact I hold nothing agaisnt Blizzard because every company gets thrown curve balls and Blizzard seems to be working to better their situation every day. It has only been 1 week, so the perfomance issues arent a concern for me. Then again I am not the one waiting in a line to play a game I paid for.

9. Ijs

Ijs Active Member

Performance issues? What performance issues?

So there are queues on a few popular servers. That's to be expected, no? Don't like a queue? Change your server. End of so-called issue.

Just ask your own TOG guildmates. You trust their opinion, right?

As for a handful of servers being down for a couple days (that is an issue I guess :D ), that's a non-issue now. And players are getting a few extra days playing time, so it's not like they lost anything.

10. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I look at the GS review for EQ as a "conditional review" really and that's why the reading review itself is more important then the score.

If you like current MMO games then EQ might also be worth a higher score, as they state it clearly states that it will be a very personal decision but if you like the genre and gameplay that has been around for a while then EQ will be a good game for you.

Similar with Planetside, didn't get a huge score, fantastic game if you get a group together and play as a team, couldn't find a better FPS, if you running around solo the game doesn't do much for you.

Condition 1 : 9/10
    Condition 2 : 7/10

11. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

I'm just glad they reacted to the community, and fast, and reaction started on a sunday night. :) My review there is Whoot!
    Queued once, didn't care cause the other server didn't have one.
    Logged out once due to a scheduled reboot, played on another realm but was annoyed

Specifically play between 9 and 11 at night, and the game gave me heaps in that time frame that didn't leave me thinking "I'll have to finish it tomorrow night".

Is a good game and deserved that review. :)

If you work to focus on the problems though you will have problems ;)

Take the warning though, but before you walk away with the thought your gaming is going to have Stability problems definately look at the open forums :) Or, if Gamespy are looking at it, it will be interesting to see what they say in their review :mrgreen:

12. TGBO

TGBO Getting Started

Performance problems? In view of thier popularity, I think they're doing better then anyone could hope.

http://www.blizzard.com/press/041201.shtml

Excerpt for the ones that don't want to read the whole thing:
    bolding mine :)

Point being, thier lag issues are caused by the sort of sheer volumes you cannot really predict. Never the less, they've managed extremely well. From 40 to 80 servers online and running in a matter of days to deal with the unexpected load.

Starting at day 1, they have already taken the lead on all of thier current North American competition in the MMO market. The thing to see, I think, is just how long they can keep it up. But so far they're certainly not hurting. The number of accounts by the end of opening weekend (over 350,000) is already fast-appoaching the genre flagship of EQ1 at it's hieght. I'm curious to see how it plays out over the next year as things settle down, flash-pan players get burned out, and the real long-term support abilities come to light.

My bet? WoW stays at or very near the top. EQ2 stays in the running, but I seriously doubt it will match WoW on it's own. Combined with EQ1, however, it may. And then there's others on the horizon...

But it's been my experience that when Blizzard releases a game, they tend to set the bar for the entire genre for years to come. If they do it again, I can only say I hope they set it really high as they finish up WoW with all the things they hoped to get in before release.

13. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

14. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

Heck I predicted WoW would outsell EQ2 by tons, due to the battle.net crowd and blizzards WC games. I would have thought Blizzard could have predicted it lol....

15. Lasraik

Lasraik Getting Started

I've heard of many problems with server que, in fact I haven't heard of anyone play it that didn't complain about it.

WoW just doesn't appeal to me personally, no matter how high of a review it recieved. :p

16. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

Yes those server queues definitely upset alot of people. As this is the first large MMO release I've been closely involved in, it's been very interesting to see how the launch has been managed. It must be near impossible to come up with a process for getting a big batch of gaming servers online for an international community that is rabidly excited about a game, and try and maintain a reasonably even balance accross those servers. Especially when large sections of the organised gaming communities are striving to hook up together on the same server!

I actually think Blizzard did a reasonable job. By 'artificially' capping the server capacities, they force people to spread themselves out early on. Non-guild related solo players, or those looking for casual play with a couple of close friends, would probably hop to another server just because they couldn't wait. Once they have an even keel and can guage the number of players, bring more servers online, fill those up, then increase the caps.

The good thing about the queues were at least they were allowing players who were hardcore dedicated on continuing on that server to get on - eventually, if they were patient. Although the queue lengths were insane at times, I think allowing that for guild players was a better decision than making the server unavailable.

I think it's an interesting challenge to think of a process fo having a smooth MMO launch that ends up with some healthily populated but not overcrowded servers, but a process that gets there without temporarily frustrating the gamers; the majority of who have an excitement and impatience level at game launch is probably greater than any other time they play the game.

17. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

You have now. ;)

And I get an extra two days added to my first free month for the inconvenience. :D

18. TGBO

TGBO Getting Started

Make it two. Queues have not been a headache for me.

ahhhh, but could you have predicted the highest first day sales of a PC game in history? And actually have a solid enough case for it to justify laying out the cash to back it up? MMOs have not been a huge PC game seller at retail historically. Certainly you can predict high sales, but the best ever of any genre? That's a hard case to prove with just estimates. Your best chance would be preorder numbers, but I don't know what those were. They were indeed prepared for high sales though. 40 servers at launch with more scheduled to come up later. Did the login servers crash under the load? Not that I've heard. You had a queue, but the server was up. And you could see how long the wait would be and decide if it was going to be worth it for that server. They just had to accellerate thier release schedule for the servers and then start getting the inevitable kinks out of the system.

And really, not hard to out-sell EQ2. Not just by the amount of competition, but because you already have a big EQ fanbase with a large portion that don't want to leave the EQ1 they've already invested so much time in just to start all over again in post-apacolyptic Norrath. Similar thing with Lineage2... it's still outdone on numbers by Lineage1 for the same reason.

19. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor