WOW vs EQII

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Carlsberg, Apr 5, 2005.

1. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

No idea what quests you're on about but with WoW

Quest example one
    Find these items (find em)
    Use scry bowl to communicate with me (use scry bowl)
    Receive new quest to retrieve an item
    Retrieve item
    Return to the person you spoke too at the beginning

Quest example two
    Enter the troll city
    Find a mallet and tablet informing how to enchant it and a story behind it etc
    Travel to another location by griffon, boat, and foot.
    Battle to the top of a temple
    Use an Alter to enchant the mallet
    Head back to troll city
    Use enchanted mallet on a gong
    Summons big thing, battle big thing ferociously
    Pick up rewards

Those quests are linked in with other things like
    Example 1.1 A couple of linked quests involving artifacts and what they are doing to the kraags(?)
    Eventually while collecting the other stuff, you have to receive X from the ground in Y

Retrieve X from Y in troll city for B
    Speak too the voodooish guy and enter a world of pain.

Nothing but story in WoW quests if you like that. Also, various books are in various inns for perusual if you're interested.
    Plus, things like having to slap on helmets or devices in order to find certain X's to return to Y.

Or, when hunting X's, find yourself a hunter, much easier. etc

2. neimad

neimad Well-Known Member

Ahhh, the debate continues, even though the contraction of EQ2 and WoW's continued expansion should have closed this topic months ago.

EQ2 was ok. I managed to get to level 30 as a Wizard and a Sage and had a blast playing with The Old Guard. But the overarching story didn't really grab me and this is one of the appeal's of WoW. Sure you have Qeynos and Freeport but really it's a cobbled, artificial rivalry with no history like that of the Horde/Alliance battle that has spawned three RTS games and the now well-woven story linking them into WoW.

WoW's ease of use - getting quests is as simple as looking for a guy with a yellow question mark over their head - its humour and style makes it casual gamer friendly and immersive. EQ2 had it's good points but for me they were generated by the other people in the guild that I journeyed with rather than the game itself. WoW has both... so when I left one for the other I don't question that it was the right decision.

And the mastery quests in EQ2... that was just wacky. Made a nice set of trophies in the room though :D

3. Erevan

Erevan Getting Started

Been playing EQ2 from the start and the fact that it is a challenge is something I really enjoy. I have managed to solo almost the whole way to lvl 30 and found it to be quite fun 99% of the time.

That aside,

PvP is coming to EQ2 in a few months. Other changes talked about are faction towns and missions such as CTF and the like for faction members.

Go have a look thru the EQ2 website for more details. :)

4. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

LoL, can't believe I am going to do this since I have lost all faith in EQ2 since they insist on turning it into a WoW clone...BUT...to say there is no history in Norrath is the most absurd thing I have ever heard...just like you have to read the history and text of Azeroth to understand WoW, I would suggest you actually read the history of Norrath from the beginning (EQ1, just like WoW goes back to the first WoW RTS) and you will find more history than you can possibly internalize in an hour or two.

As for the post a couple up about quests...again, Eq2 has the very same type of quests if you read them, AND WoW has more than it's share of fedex, overcamped quests.

I agree where someone above said the debate should have ended a while back...as soon as both WoW and EQ2 designers decided they wanted to be just like each other instead of staying within their niches!

5. TGBO

TGBO Getting Started

Yeah, I have to say it's looking more and more like EQ2 is turning into WoW with more complex and system-taxing graphics. I can't say I'm surprised though. WoW is beating the tar out of EQ2 in sales. EQ2 isn't doing bad mind you, but WoW is doing a whole lot better. And it's been my experience that SOE goes for the Bottom Line first and foremeost. They are a business owned by a very large international entity, so this is also not surprising. Therefore, they're trying to copy a lot of WoW's features to entice players over from that game. PvP, CTF, faction towns? Gee, sounds a whole lot like WoW Battlegrounds to me.

I do also have to agree with Twiz that EQ does have a good bit of backstory. In all honesty about the same amount as WoW, possibly more.

The games are becoming closer and closer in mechanics, so it comes down to whichever one gives you a flavor you like better. I chose WoW's quirky art style and Blizzard-brand humor, but YMMV.

Personally, I'm off trying out EvE Online right now for a change of pace :D That one's actually quite different indeed from EQ2 or WoW ;)

6. shawn23233

shawn23233 Getting Started

"The thing that really kills my interest in these MMO's is the rush to get to the end game. Alot of folks in all of these games (Great TOGERS one and all) take it easy, but with the majority rushing their mains to the top level it makes you feel kinda left out when you really enjoy smelling the roses. "

This is a side effect of them being so easy to level in. It is a problem, but they were really worried that people would find it too hard to level and quit (like in EQ or Lineage2), so they just made it really easy. I mean LOL leveling in WoW is about as hard as watching TV hehe.

7. neimad

neimad Well-Known Member

Twiz, I respect your opinion. Especially when we were playing EQ2 you were easily EQ2s most valiant defender. My point isn't so much that there isn't a history of Norrath - there most definitely is. My point is that the history of Norrath isn't involving the player and didn't make me care about it a whit - it was just a framework for us to work in. While in WoW I'm constantly reminded that there is a history between the Alliance and Horde and that I do care how it pans out - because the gameplay is geared towards that. For EQ2 it was there but not involving and completely avoidable whereas in WoW it is unavoidable and interesting.