Xbox One

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by xenoph, May 22, 2013.

1. Schizo

Schizo Well-Known Member

The most cursed sports city in the US: Buffalo, NY
    And if I were a eccentric billionaire, I'd buy a Super Bowl ad that would consist of someone saying:

"Xbox on! Internet search: Two Girls, One Cup! Play!"

Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do something ;)

2. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

NT

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  3. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

I'm trying not to laugh...........no really. Enjoy your new voice activated TV remote.

Trimethicon likes this.
  4. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

You are screwed if you get a cold and the machine does not understand you anymore :)

5. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

As a computational linguist, I am wondering which accent it is trained for, or do you have to train it separately for every person in your house? And what happens if channels are added or change their names? How adaptive is the voice parsing?

Sorontar

6. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

I really loathe to use this word, but this post is what I'd call PS fanboyism at the highest level.
    Coming into a thread about a console I presume you had no interest in beforehand taking a jab at people who actually want it. Nice.

They didn't show many games because E3 is two weeks away, there's no point. They announced, what, 15 exclusive titles? They have special deals for COD's DLC.
    What on earth makes you think this isn't a gaming console just because they didn't show off tech demos as PS4 did?

I enjoy the discussions around the Xbox in this thread, but this post isn't anywhere near a standard of discussion I hoped to see in TOG.

Trimethicon likes this.
  7. burnx

burnx Well-Known Member

I guess people are just disappointed with the reveal of the Xbox One. Probably most had hope that it could stand toe to toe with the PS4 reveal, though that is not saying the PS4 showcase didn't have it's own downfalls as well.

Personally, I'm not into console. I just agree that the Xbox One reveal wasn't anything special really. Many people are just poking fun at it. No doubt there are some people who do like it and good for them.

I honestly hope that both the Xbox One and PS4 are good upon release because in the end, it's us gamers that benefit the most :)

8. Schizo

Schizo Well-Known Member

The most cursed sports city in the US: Buffalo, NY
    Being a console collector, I'm always fascinated by new consoles when they come out. I love seeing the marketing strategies and how it plays out. Seeing competitors go at it is a freaking blast for me. Atari vs. Intellivision. Sega vs. Nintendo. Sony vs. Microsoft.

Already the MBA in me is seeing how Microsoft has really dropped the ball on this one.

The people who are looking forward the most to the new console reveal are going to be the gamers. Having the premier being game-centric and focused on that aspect should have been what MSFT touted. Instead they played up the media aspects of the new console. Reminiscent of what SOny did back when the PS3 was launched...and that hurt them initially (along with a cripplingly high price point).

From a technical standpoint, the Xbox One is inferior to the PS4. There is a really great article I read that tore down the known differences between the two consoles:

AnandTech | The Xbox One: Hardware Analysis & Comparison to PlayStation 4

Most telling is in the system memory. Whereas both systems are using 8GB of memory, the Xbox One is only running DDR3 at 2.1 Ghz, while the PS4 is running GDDR5 at 5.5 Ghz. The PS4 has nearly triple the memory bandwidth of the Xbox One.

Now, that being said, the hardware should be a bit cheaper for the MSFT to produce compared to Sony. But wait! MSFT is going to package a Kinect in with every Xbox, which will add to the cost.

The result?

(wait for me to gaze deeply into my [strike]magic 8[/strike] crystal ball)

I think you'll see two similar consoles releasing at very nearly the same price point. One will be more of a media device that plays games, and the other will be more game focused.

Add in all the other caveats (internet connection required every 24 hours, blocking of used games, subscription fee for online play), and the gamers are probably going to flock to one console. And as we've seen in this generation, an early lead can make all the difference.

For the record, I'm disappointed in both consoles. Neither is a giant leap forward in visual or mechanical prowess as far as I am concerned. I already voiced my displaeasure in the PS4 reveal thread, and since the Xbox One is similar in architecture, I don't think it bears repeating here. I don't see much reason to purchase either at the moment. I'll probably stick to PC gaming and catching up on my backlog of games on all my old consoles for now.

But if you stuck a gun to my head right now and asked me to pick? The PS4 definitely seems like the better proposition on paper right now.

9. Ancient_One

Nice write up mate. If you're like my son, a Sony fanboy, then it's pretty obvious which console he will buy.

10. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

I still don't understand why Microsoft and the game developers feel they should be getting a cut of a used game sale.

Does any major car maker get a cut when a used vehicle of theirs gets sold?

I was hoping the new Xbox might have backwards compatibility, I was thinking of picking it up with the huge 360 library available. Guess I'll just buy a cheap 360 when the new console goes on sale...f* 'em.

11. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

You're right Xeno, I've been in TOG for over 8+ years and it always bothered me when people, that had no interest in playing a game, would come into a thread and state that they had no interest in playing the game. I was always like - why bother? We're obviously all fans, we don't need someone to come into a thread and poop all over our beloved game. To some degree I do think its necessary, if we only listened to shiny and happy people we'd be missing part of the story. As long as that person is constructive......well these days I just let it go. But I'm going to edit my threads, because I don't think they were constructive.

Having said that; what I'd like to see Sony/Microsoft do is - instead of putting a bunch of corporate knuckleheads up on stage in sports coats and bright white smiles, why not grab some typical looking gamer, in a gaming t-shirt, and have them demonstrate the consoles and the games? Can you imagine? The crowd would go nuts if someone walked out on stage looking like that and used gamer language instead of corporate speak.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  12. Ancient_One

13. Blueink

Blueink Well-Known Member

I have been reading and disgesting a few more articles and have realised the one thing that bugs me the most about it all is how ugly the Xbox One is and how much that really puts me off especially after seeing all the amazing concepts going around. A minor issue in the scheme of things for sure but it just leaves me with the impression that they did not even try and I really think MS severely underestimated how much visual impact drives buying decisions.

I prefer the Xbox as a gaming platform personally and in the end I could live with the always on, 2nd hand game issues etc but if the PS4 looks better (and it will not take much effort to beat the reuse of old VCR boxes) and is similar in specs/price I will be getting a PS4 instead.

14. SemiproCharlie

SemiproCharlie Well-Known Member

I quite like the look of the Xbox One. It has a similar feel to it that my Topfield PVR has, and I think it will fit in well in my lounge room. I know it won't be for everyone, but I think they have gone for a very sleek box that belongs in everyone's lounge room, not just gamers.

It might be that they have gone too far away from the gamer audience with the physical design, but I don't think that will hurt them much.

Can't wait to see what the PS4 looks like!

15. burnx

burnx Well-Known Member

Interesting if this is how the use game system turns out:

This is how Xbox One game trade-ins will work, apparently

16. Blueink

Blueink Well-Known Member

Interesting development burnx and thanks for reminding me SemiproCharlie that we definitely all have different tastes haha

17. jonny2combz

jonny2combz Active Member

Don't care I am getting one :p

18. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

It's prettier than the first Xbox, regardless. ;)

As for the second-hand thing quoted further up, I'm a little dubious to MS getting money for the sales. Developers, yes.
    Again though - I don't buy second-hand as I don't like that system (with the shops making all the money, and selling used games for the same price as new ones...), so I don't mind at all.

19. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

20. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

Typical arrogant corporate attitude displayed , they figured hey we have the largest console market share in the U.S and those suckers will run to the store anyway to buy the new one to play the last Call of duty, so we can safely neglect all the core gamers and focus on a new consumer group, the 40+ who are looking for a device to play/watch their movies, go on the internet and play farmville on facebook, and we have to reel them in quick before Apple does it.

What they seemed to forget was that their target group wasn't watching the stream because they don't care about an xbox.
    The Xbox fans, the core gamers they where watching the stream and what did they see no games!
    90% of the stream was about bullshit features that you never use and on top of that doesn't even function outside the U.S
    Microsoft screwed up and they are scrambling right now for damage control and try to give it a spin.

[​IMG]