Xbox One

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by xenoph, May 22, 2013.

1. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Will not be getting a Xbone.

- I don't trust that I will be getting a product that wont break within a year, mainly due to their extremely high defective rate of the 360.

- Fee for used games. The game stores are not the only ones that profit from used game sales. I have bought several used games and then purchased the DLC. So the developers did make money off me. This one's for you, Xenoph. ;)

- Kinect required, even if I don't want it. Motion gaming through Kinect did not appeal to me. I also don't care to have a machine monitoring me completely. I see no real benefit to the Kinect, or at least why it is a must have.

- Online check-in every 24 hours. Definitely don't like this. Especially since I live on the outskirts of a big city, sometimes I deal with slowdowns and internet disconnection.

- The fact that they have told people who cannot get online to just buy a 360. I wont do that, because of my first point.

- Pressure on indie game devs. They don't really want to help small time developers and demand they get a bigger label behind them.

- Pressure on all developers to use cloud processing. This is where they're going to force the always online. They claim they are suggesting developers utilize it, but when Microsoft says that, to me it is them pressuring them and not really just suggesting.

- The NSA may watch me through the Kinect. Nuff said on that one.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    Schizo likes this.
  2. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

The Eye camera is not 100 dollars, though ;) and it is completely optional. Sure it doesn't monitor my heart rate, but I really don't care about that.

Also, it seems the online free to play games like DCUO and Planetside 2 are going to be completely free to play and wont be apart of that fee to play games online.

Also, it is going to be a fee to play online, not a fee to get online.

I like that Sony is making it so all PS4 title developers have to put in remote play on the PSVita. This really makes me want to pick up a Vita when I go pick up a PS4. I hope they create a Vita/PS4 combo pack.

Both consoles are integrating ways to use tablets and other mobile devices to add ways to play games, which is cool.

3. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

If I win £100 million on the lottery tonight I will buy everyone here an Xboxone and you can do with it what you want - Personally I will use it to switch on my PS4 :D

Schizo likes this.
  4. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

If I were to use the same logic - I still have my first Xbox (bought at launch), and it has survived several trips on the sea (on a fishing boat - it's not all nice weather and steady boat) and 6 different houses.
    My 360 was bought on launch as well, and it worked perfectly fine until I sold it last year.

The majority of people I've talked to that bought used games, did not purchase anything further for that game.

Single incidents does not an average make. There's a reason there's been a lot of debate regarding the selling of used games.

Additionally - the price of used games is very often the same as it is for brand new ones. I don't quite see what the attraction is.
    If someone trades in a two week old game, the shop is going to sell it on for the same, or even more in some examples, as a new game.

Even when a game gets older, and thusly cheaper, the price difference between used and new isn't big, and sometimes in favour of the new game.
    Perhaps you'll save a couple of dollars.

Easier for the developers - now they know that everyone has Kinect instead of guesswork.

Partly agree. Not everyone has constant internet connection yet - though, at the same time, the world is moving forward, more and more places have good internet (seem to be worse in AU/NZ).
    However, random dc's shouldn't be such an issue, since it will only require you to be online once per 24 hours (as far as I've read so far).

Bad PR from their side. Point is still valid, they just clearly have all learned from Steve Ballmer how to not act.

You can turn it off. Same as your webcam (if you have one). Do you refrain from using your phone as well? I presume you do, since they can tap that (heck, even tabloids do that).

PS: It's xenoph, without a capital x. ;)

5. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

The issue here though is that the Xbone is already having heat issues. The power brick is already separate from the console and now they're looking to underclock it. I do hope they fix these heat issues before launch, but an underclock is really not an ideal option since the console is already weaker than its competition.

Also while your 360 may have worked fine, you can't deny that RROD was a massive problem that affected a hell of a lot of people. I know folks who have been through 4 or more 360s.

Rubbish, I picked up 3 games for $12 the other day, new they would have been $45. This is very common. Buying games used over the years has saved me hundreds, possibly even over a grand.

In addition to that, I bought my PS3 second hand off ebay, it came with 8 games which would not be possible with the Xbone

I also have a friend who just recently bought a PS3, I'm about to mail him a dozen games I no longer play, another thing not possible with the Xbone.

6. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

The majority of people you've talked to does not an average make for the whole market either...

The NSA bit was just a funny bit. I'm really not paranoid.

Also... single does not make incidents.

7. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

Still doesn't make Micro$oft look good when they're pulling stunts like this:

Xbox One Games At E3 Were Running On Windows 7 With Nvidia GTX Cards

Isn't the Xbone supposed to have a Win8 interface with AMD video?

And still....WHY is nobody asking why Micro$oft and their 3rd party developers feel they should get a second cut of a game already purchased at full price?

Do I pay Honda a "usage fee" when I buy a used car from the classifieds?
    Do I pay Universal a "viewing fee" when I put a used movie into my DVD player?
    Do I pay Virgin a "listening fee" when I buy a used CD from the local record store?

No...no I don't.

F*ck off, corporate d!(kwads.

8. jonny2combz

jonny2combz Active Member

Why would you taker your game console with you when you go away and how many people would this effect really?

Not a problem that I can see:)

I love the rumour mill:)

Sony has been very tight lipped about a lot of stuff so I would wait until all the cards are on the table.

Storm in a teacup guys and gals.

9. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

That was my point. One person saying that they have bought some DLC doesn't mean that the developers are satisfied with that, so to speak.

Anyway, I actually think I'm going to leave this thread now. While I started it wanting a bit of discussion and perhaps chatter with other users curious about the Xbox, it seems to be filling up more and more with people that have long decided they're not getting one, so it's more interesting to either post how superior they think the PS4 is (I think there's a thread for that....), or to try their best to talk down all of the Xbox' abilities.

And that's not my style of discussion or original idea.

10. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

I'm talking down about the Xbone more from fear of the precedents that Micro$oft is setting.

If the Xbone becomes even mildly successful, with the "features" we've been informed of at this time, how is the rest of the gaming market going to react?

What they're doing with this just scares me. The majority of the purchasing public are sheep and won't realize what they've bought into until well after they've plunked down their money.

I suggest you all pick up and read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Besides being a fantastic read, the actions of the IOI in the story scared the hell out of me.

11. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

The biggest complaint I have, truthfully, the Xbox One is just something Microsoft seems to be shoving down our throat, and they aren't going to listen to the consumer much at all. They did the same thing with Windows 8.

12. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

From my G+ stream;

2nd paragraph bolded by me.
    It's also been said that they're working on something for people like military personnel.
    Anyway, not sure why I returned to the thread, but I guess I thought this information was worth sharing for those that haven't already made up their mind - 6 month before release.

Off I go again.

Topfuel likes this.
  13. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

The cost of progress? That made me lol. This is their way of picking up their pieces and saying you can share it with your 10 friends. I never really had an issue with sharing games, but it still says Used games will be a pain in the butt with paying them a fee.

I also liked the next paragraph after what you bolded:

That makes me feel soooooo much better about the paragraph you bolded. </sarcasm>

It's funny how he says the user (should say consumer) has to compromise. Well, I'm not being forced to buy it. So why should I pay and then compromise?

The big point in the beginning of the quote: Ideas that are being poorly conveyed. Marketing teams will be fired for this, and this does have a direct effect on the consumer and the market. BTW, what happened to that guy who said to just buy a 360 if you don't have internet?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  14. SemiproCharlie

SemiproCharlie Well-Known Member

I am excited by the prospect of what the Xbox One offers. I love that Kinect is included in every box as part of the console - it means that unlike the current Kinect, developers can count on it being there.

I've read about an FPS that augments its "lean" controls by watching for when the player subtly leans. As long as this is in addition to lean buttons on the controller, this is an immersive feature I'm looking forward to.

With the ability to measure your pulse via Kinect (I'd like to hear more about the accuracy of this), games can adjust to heighten the experience. If you are in horror games, think of the game targeting what you react to. If you are getting used to monsters popping out every third corner, then the game could adjust that to get you back on the edge of your seat.

There is so much untapped potential in the current Kinect let alone the next version, that I can't wait to see what developers do with it knowing they can count on every Xbox owner having one.

15. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

LOL! :twisted:

[​IMG]

16. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Haha, Xenoph, don't get upset about people expressing their opinions. The Xbone is bad move by Microsoft mostly because they're removing consumer freedoms whilst not actually giving anything else to compensate.

If the games were $20 cheaper on Xbone then people probably wouldn't care, but they're not. The games will cost exactly the same but if you get it on PS4 version then you can loan it to a friend or trade it in a week later for the next big game. MS are saying "no, you can't do that" and you're wondering why people are upset? The family circle stuff is shit, I shouldn't have to manage/allocate/deallocate software licenses myself and the average consumer won't understand it. Digital content may be the future, but clearly people aren't ready for it. Microsoft are again showing their arrogance trying to force people into a business model they've suddenly decided is the correct one on behalf of their customers (what few they have left after this). Sony on the other hand, who probably want the exact same thing, will most likely just sit back and coax people oonto the digital PS Store for the free PS Plus games, and while they're there getting free games they'll also see the sweet PS Plus games discounts and Day 1 digital editions (which can't be loaned or traded at all) and adopt the "Steam way" of digital-but-cheaper, and people will happily throw away their consumer freedoms because they think they're getting a bargain. Simple, smart and it'll probably work (it's worked a treat for Steam). On the other hand trying to wrap a digital model around physical store bought discs is asinine, I've no clue what microsoft are thinking.

If you watched the PS4 press conference then you'd have seen people standing and applauding when they said you could lend your games to people. Seriously, that shouldn't have gotten a standing ovation and just goes to show how out of touch with consumers and gamers Microsoft has become. That's not to say the Xbone doesn't have some nice stuff, but it doesn't really have much over the PS4 games or hardware wise, I don't count connect and neither do most devs (if you watch the press conf you probably noticed the complete lack of any kinect usage in those games) which all adds to to it being not the safest platform to buy into. If you've no faith in the guy steering the ship it's probably best to book passage on a different vessel. I say we make MS sweat with piss-poor pre orders and force them to offer a better product/service or risk the Xbone becoming the next Sega Saturn.

Despite all my complaints about it, I actually really want to see the Xbox One on parity with the PS4, competition is good for the consumers and gamers. Sony kicking Microsoft in the balls at E3 by launching cheaper and with less consumer restrictions sets a damn good precedent of what gamers expect moving forward. The ball is in their court now.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  17. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Well looks like the response has prompted some major changes, nice to see the consumers have an impact.

Your Feedback Matters ? Update on Xbox One

Also for some reason they made this change but aren't highlighting it as much nor is the press really acknowledging it;

Great news for pretty much everyone outside the US, all those wonderful half price imports are now an option.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  18. Blueink

Blueink Well-Known Member

Wow I expected them to backtrack but not that quickly!

19. Rica

Rica Active Member

I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed about the reversal. I was looking forward to some of the features that came along with it. Mainly, not needing the disc again after you installed the game. IMO it's a step backwards

20. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

That's a hell of a backpedal. Hope it works out okay for them.

Still not interested.

(FYI...the PS4 hasn't fully caught my interest yet, either.)