360: Xbox Slim, anyone?

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by Scratches, Jun 21, 2010.

1. jonny2combz

jonny2combz Well-Known Member

Question why would you move your xbox like that, and why would you put it in a area with bad ventilation? My nephew did that and wondered why he got the RROD. Well if you do that with any electronic device I can see the same thing happening. But on a brighter note yes I am going to get one of those sleek new sexy numbers, and a new xbox as well. :)
    And bluray is great for movies and all the extra content in them, but for games? I don’t want to play a game that will go on for 70-80+ hours to complete. I mean you wont get better graphics or better sound this is all done by the unit not the volume size of the disc. So bluray wont make a better game, not untill we have the hardware that can handle the volume of information. :)

2. SemiproCharlie

SemiproCharlie Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find the answer online but I can't...

Does anyone know if the xbox 360 slim has an HDMI 1.3 port and supports HDMI control (CEC), to do things like turn on your TV and change the channel, etc?

3. Gash

Gash Well-Known Member

I'd dig a slim, simply for the quiet. My Elite is new, but I'm pretty shocked by how noisy it is - surprised they thought that was acceptable. I'll only play installed games b/c the spinning disk drive is unbearbale to me.

4. Spunkmeyer

Spunkmeyer Getting Started

For sure! I actually returned my first Xbox 360. It was so loud I thought something MUST be wrong with it. My second was just as loud... It's now installed in another room from where I play, that's the only way I could deal with it.

5. Gash

Gash Well-Known Member

aye I almost did that too, but a net search made it clear that this was just part of the beauty of being a 360 owner :p

Contacted them about my squeaky controller though. The buggers wanted me to send it back to them. And go 3 weeks unable to play my new toy? Not likely! Someone on the sbox forums said 'to cure a squeaky controller, just blow on it! I thought it sounded absurd, but tried it anyway (I was desperate). It only worked :p

How do you manage that? Long cable? Is it a pain when you want to change games etc or do you just leave in the disk you are keen on atm?

6. Spunkmeyer

Yeah, I installed a 40 ft HDMI cable in the wall from the TV's location to a walk-in closet when my house was under construction. One of the benefits of being around while they were building I guess (I also have enough CAT5e ran everywhere that hopefully I'll never have to pull another cable while I live here). :D

I generally do just leave the most current gaming obsession in the drive and it usually is not a problem. It did bug me considerably though when playing ME2 and I was extremely comfy and immersed in the story and it asked me to change disks.... I thought to myself "Why did I install this to the hard drive? My gaming rig never asks me to change disks!" :mad:

7. George

George Retired Captain

Don't you get any signal loss with such a long cable?

8. Gash

Gash Well-Known Member

You still have to change disks when you install a multi disk game? That's so dumb!! I seriously hope they learn some lessons by the time the Xbox 720 comes out!

9. Spunkmeyer

I'm far from an expert, but not that I've noticed. The TV hooked up to the Xbox is a LCD that only runs at 720p resolution. I've heard that long distances tend to affect 1080p output much more than 720 or even 1080i over HDMI. Or maybe I just got lucky. :)

10. jonny2combz

My old xbox 360 was a tad loud but then I installed all games to disc and turned up the sound on the home theater and no probs, except the wife and kids are yelling at me turn it down :) So I am looking forward to my Birthday in September when my wife and kids give me my new slim I bought a mouth ago :-(

11. Spice.

Spice. Retired Captain

Looks like I'm in the market for a new Xbox.
    June '06 - Sept '10

[​IMG]

12. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

So my friend how long till you get it. It is September after all. :D

Mate I feel for you. Good period of time though that it has lasted.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  13. jonny2combz

My Birthday was on the Ninth and I got my new slim happy happy joy joy :) But I have been working a lot with normal shift and overtime and I have had no play time :-(
    You do know Spice broke his on pourpose so he could get a new Xbox slim. ;-)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  14. Spice.

Spice. Retired Captain

I wish it hadn't though, I don't have the spare cash at the moment to replace it.
    At least moving from the base 20Gb to a 250Gb HDD will help a lot!