XCOM Enemy Unknown [Oct 2012]

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Drac, Jun 16, 2012.

1. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

I use it for my squad sight Sniper. He often just takes to the air where he starts and shoots from there for a few turns.

I haven't thought of trying it for others. It doesn't grant the high ground bonus but it does give the flying unit (20 defense) bonus when in use and makes it possible to get to places I'm not sure a grapple would get you. It's Heavy armor too, though I'm not sure if it grants the fire/poison immunities of the Titan.

I keep forgetting to use SHIVs. I used an Alloy one for the first time today until it was destroyed and it's GREAT. It can move a long way (might be similar to a Sprint spec Support I think) and since it doesn't have exp to loose, and you can just build another, it's a great scout.

Once you have suppression it can even suppress at least one of what it spots whilst the squad gets in position. With 75+10 aim it's better than a raw Squaddie in terms of being able to hit something too and essentially sports a Heavy weapon. Plus it can be used to create cover for your more important human soldiers.

I'm actually annoyed I forgot to take one on the mission I just saved at. :(

I just finished a (story) mission with two Sectopods encountered at once and only lost 1 Squaddie! Partly thanks to luck but mainly an Assault Colonel with an Alloy Cannon that took out one of the two almost single handed. :D

I'm now working on getting some Psi capable troops so with some patience, and luck, I may just finish my first Classic Ironman game tomorrow. :cool:

2. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

What has hastarin said basically. Squad sight sniper gets the best use out of it. I try to get my supports in skeleton then ghost and my heavy/assault in Titan then ghost. But damn they are expensive.

Got 2 psi soldiers out of the first 3 I sent in (one was my col support and the other a major support). Both died next mission when I encountered heavy floaters. Such a letdown.

3. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

I'm putting everyone in Titan except the squad sight sniper. I'm curious how you are using the Skeleton/Ghost armor? To me there are far too few grapple locations with cover, and a soldier out of cover in Classic is a dead soldier, to be worth using them. I would guess you get some added mobility? I just find the extra 4HP and fire/poison immunity of more use personally.

I tried Ghost on my Normal Ironman playthrough but just didn't find any need for it. I mean I rarely "Hunker Down" which is the only time I would imagine I'd use the cloak instead? But perhaps I'm missing a tactic with it?

The only use I can think is to equip my Support unit (that has Poison immunity from a Medkit) with it so they can close for a stun with the Arc Thrower (Medkit + Arc Thrower is standard on my Support medic).

IMHO you really want to have your Assault soldiers in Heavy Armor (Titan/Archangel) for the bonus HP they get from Extra Conditioning when they hit Major. Every HP is one more that might be the difference between a soldier going home on a stretcher instead of a body bag.

4. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

It turns out it DOES grant a height bonus (if you're higher than the enemy) and Damn Good Ground is triggered!

[​IMG]

Beware it is buggy. I just had a Terror mission where the last third of it was spent with my guy stuck in a roof. :(

SHIVs are rather buggy too. I've had an Alloy SHIV I can't deploy and a Hover Shiv without flight mode or weapons. Hopefully at least the SHIVs get fixed in a patch as it's a common problem judging by the forums.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  5. Blue_Talon

When you ghost up and attack -> Its an instant crit. So its useful for sniper, assaults and supports, to get the correct position then shot something to death :) Try having a crit shotty assault in ghost -> cloak up -> run and gun past everyone to a flanking position or a spot well past the firefight to allow greater sweeping -> cue instant crit rapid fire

My assault team is titan for the HP bonus and chitin plating. Both have 21HP right now. My support duo (suppresion/smoke and medi) are in skeleon, both have arc throwers and either medi or scope/drugs. Heavy is in carapace for now but will jump to ghost. Reason being - I can run him close to a scetopod or cyberdisk cloaked (so no overwatch) and have 1 hit at close range for instant crit (+100% heat bonus). Sniper is archangel, for obvious reasons.

hastarin likes this.
  6. Spinn

Spinn Getting Started

Currently I am equiping all my guys with Titan Armour. I find the immunity to fire and poison is great. Also the massive health boost is keeping my men alive when they take some big hits.

I like the idea of having an assault in ghost, but right now my assault is the guy in front taking most of the fire and dodging it all :) He is a beast.

I might have to do the ghost armour with my sniper though.

Do you guys use your arc throwers much? I have a tendency to just frag all the aliens I come across rather then risk getting that close to them and the arc thrower failing.

7. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

Ah I didn't realize it gives a crit! I can see the value in having a Heavy in the Ghost armor, though mine is now in Psi armor and I'm now at the point where my squad is mostly Major/Colonel so I'm just trying to decide how soon I tackle the final mission. I might try and get everyone to Colonel first I think so might have to at least try the Ghost armor in the process.

No. I used it to get the storyline captures and get certain research (Plasma Pistol, Alien Grenades, Plasma Rifle) or weapons, but other than that I've found it's not worth the risk on Classic. In fact I've found I need weapon fragments at times so I've been better off with the destroyed weapons anyway.

I'm now at the point where I have nothing left to research anyway and with enough Scientists and a Laboratory I never really had to wait for research.

I guess if I find the time to play again at some stage, and I'm going for a better score, it might be handy to get the tech researched and useable sooner.

8. Blue_Talon

I have an Arc Thrower on my Medi Support and maybe a second on big ship missions or early in the game. I use them to capture mutons/the grey little guys (cant remember the name right now) and floaters for the plasma weapons (saves on alloys and fragments if you dont have to make them). Once you have all the plasma weapons you need then I wouldnt bring more than one.

I use grenades and rockets to soften up enemies, not to kill it. You need the fragments and allows.

I finished the tech tree without building a laboratory. My biggest limitor is Alloys...

9. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

I finally finished my first CI game. The final mission was almost laughably easy. Not surprising given it's my 3rd playthrough and my memory was good enough to know about the big surprises. The final fight the aliens didn't even get a chance to have a turn. :D

The final team
    [​IMG]

The final toll (41 total)
    [​IMG]

And the final score
    [​IMG]

More screenshots on my Steam page:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/hastarin/home

Now time for Dishonored and Borderlands 2 (DLC and Mechromancer) before I try again to see how much I can improve that score, which incidentally was just marginally better than my first Normal Ironman game.

Thanks for the Ghost armor tip Blue_Talon. I ended up equipping one Sniper with Ghost and the other with Archangel. I can certainly see the value in Ghost armor for getting in position and scouting.

I love the fact I'm still learning new tactics with over 100hrs invested into the game! Bugs aside, Firaxis has done an amazing job with this game. :cool:

10. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator

I need to cap a sectoid but im mid/late game and the missions dont spawn them any more. :(

11. Monde

Monde Well-Known Member

Um anyone know why my Satellite over China is Orange and not Green? On the Launch Satellite map.

12. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

I just got my interwebs connected at last!! Weekend plans cancelled and game installing as we speak!!

Im gonna be dropping floaters all weekend!! :p

13. Dressy

Dressy Guest

Just read the info on the Archangel armour. It clearly states that flying does not provide the elevation bonus. What gives?

14. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

lol Enjoy

Yet another bug? I don't know. I do know I had the bonus in the screenshot I posted, though I haven't checked it regularly to see if that was an anomaly.

I know there is a Foundry project to give them Stealth in case the Aliens decide to attack them. I haven't found out what happens if you don't do that project... Perhaps it's been attacked?

15. Monde

Monde Well-Known Member

16. Monde

Monde Well-Known Member

Not that I know of or heard them pick up a Ship in China.

17. white_bear_84

Ok, so i have just started playing and "finally" got out of the tutorial so here is my first impressions:

1. The tutorial; Please tell me we dont have to go through this every time we start a new game? It was useful, although could have been streamlined a bit more and integrated in such a way that you have some flexibility.. ..not keen on the whole you HAVE to do this series of events before you get into the game, it was just really frustrating...

2. Graphics; The council cutscenes are a bit lame, i feel like im watching optimus prime giving some speech to Sam Whitwicky, seriously? The general cutscenes do add a bit of depth to the game when you complete key events.. ..it can be a bit distracting when you want to go straight into doing something though. For the base overview, took a bit of getting used to but i love it, really adds another dimension to the base, rather than having the old overhead view! As for in game, love it. Crisp and clear, it really is fun to look at :)

3. Gameplay.
    ; Well i already whinged about the tutorial, so enough said there.. ..the game still keeps many of the key elements of the original which is the most important thing. Gameplay style, yes the combat has been streamlined a bit, but its still just as fun. My only issue is the zoom and rotate, i find this to be exceptionally cumbersome. A free rolling 360 rotating and a smoother scroll out without that annoying tilt if your near the maps edge would have been great.

I could probably write so much more, im a die hard fan of the originals and have played them all! This definately is a good modern adaptation of the original though. Not so sure yet about the storyline style and a bit disappointed the aliens are not more fluid (i.e. stick to one location or get dropped in the open right in front of you) but i think these are minor things in an otherwise visually appealling and exceptionally morish game. I will have to play more to get a better feel, but so far im loving it. Might even plug together a full review sometime... :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  18. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

you may skip it...and not have the ignominious distinction of losing 3 rookies straight away forever on your record ;)

19. white_bear_84

Yeah, that was pretty damn annoying lol!!:p Well that is good to know, makes me a happy bear. I think i will finish my normal playthrough for sh*ts and giggles.

20. Derf

Derf Retired Advisor

Hi Guys Just got this game and it after for 2 hoursand 19 % My Boy Wakes up and say's "Watcha doin stupid, You know you can force download steam games!"

So here's a tip from jacko99 for installing games from the disc not the internet (STEAM)

"(Make Sure Disk 1 is in)
    Step 1. Go to steam
    Step 2. Click On the Steam tab in the top left corner
    Step 3. Click on backup and restore a game
    Step 4. restore game
    step 5. Select your disk drive (Normally D: Click on the drop down box up top (click on the disk drive in the window)
    Step 6. Then click next or what ever
    [The Game should now be installing off the disc and not downloading off the net]

Hope it helps you guys out!"

then you still have to wait for updates bugger
    Derf

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012