XCOM Enemy Unknown [Oct 2012]

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Drac, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Spinn

Spinn Getting Started

I am going very slowly too.
    Had my first battleship encounter on the weekend and that went really well. I kept forcing the aliens back (they kept retreating on after losing 1 member of their squads) and when I chased them they would vanish and the doors would all be closed.

I eventually moved up to 2 doors, opened 1 to be greeted by a sectopod. I rushed it and almost had it down so decided to flank through the 2nd door to finish it off.

2nd door opens and I am greeted by 12 aliens.. "EEEEEEPPP!"

Got very lucky that I had 2 heavys over there with rockets ready to go.. Still took a lot of dmg and almost lost both of them in the process.. but just wow!

Some aliens are just jerks!

2. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

3. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Quote for the win! :D

Astro, when you target an alien, click the more info button. It gives some insight into the maths behind the combat. Maybe a non-competitive head to head might help on TS so we can discuss each others moves and weapon effects etc.

We'll just set up some dumb ass moves and learn from the xperience. Xfire me. Togfox

4. Dressy

Dressy Guest

5. astrospud

astrospud Sandpit Raker for Toy Box Captain

Before I suckered and restarted on easy, I was playing normal (non-IM). Very first game seemed to come easy to me, took on some terror missions - no sweat. Infiltrated the first (are there others?) enemy installation and walked that through. After losing a couple of encounters, lost Russia, Germany and France from the council, but decided to push through. Then things went pear shaped. I started a new game, attempting to apply the satellite strategy, but maybe I was lost in the metagame and forgot what I'd learned before. Can't for the life of me work out what I did different.

Thanks for the generous offer Fox. There are fundamentals that I see everyone else uses - cover, dont dash, etc - but maybe I'm just easily discouraged. A personal trait I really need to work on IRL! :D

6. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Just finished it - very good ending. The whole game is excellent sci-fi, and that's always a good thing :)

Keep at it Spud, I lost more countries than I secured, still managed to win with only one tick on the doomsday clock! Saved the day in glorious fashion :p

Awesome game.

7. Monde

Monde Well-Known Member

LOL I had this last night. I shot down the biggest Alien ship I have seen to date.....actually had to land the Skyranger in the ship. Went through half the ship (I think).....killed maybe 10 aliens and was thinking this is an EASY ship. A Sectoid popped out so I move the sqad in to take him down and, well, he was a flippin decoy.

12 to 17 aliens popped out. Everything from Beserkers and Mutons to Cyberdisks and Heavy Floaters. Needless to say there was a LOT weapons fire and injured Squaddies. I got out with all my team alive but most of them on 1 point of health.

A win is a win but now I am well short on weapon fragments.

8. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

Humbled............this game has humbled me........

9. Trimethicon

I lost my entire team, I had to wait 4 days for new recruits =/. I've been reading, I'm not that far in, I'm going to restart and forgo the Tutorial and try again, atm, I am deep trouble.

10. Battle Pope

Battle Pope Well-Known Member

What I'm finding frustrating is how my team seems to switch between ace shots one mission and the next (with the same members) they can't hit a damn thing - even when they have a higher hit chance.

Last night, clearing a shot down UFO, I don't think my guys missed a shot. 6 dead aliens and no losses. Next mission - abduction site -lot 3 of my 4 soldiers because they couldn't hit a thing.

11. TheBigBad

TheBigBad World of Warcraft Officer

Good game but a couple of problems: some maps (ufos mostly) the ceiling gets in the way visually and sometimes the soldiers run to the wrong tile, sometimes soldier can't get line of sight even when standing next to an alien, made some shivs but couldn't use them as they bugged out or something, and the tactical maps seem to be set pieces rather than dynamic like in the original - you basically reveal aliens as you explore the map at which point they activate (gets boring); in the original it had more of a hunting/stalking atmosphere where the aliens were actively moving around more.

12. Trimethicon

I restarted the game, I went with Asia for my HQ, so far I've done 3 missions and I didn't lose anyone and I got an excellent rating on all 3. So far, so good. Beats my last playthru when I was just getting clobbered. I'm having fun, the game has some minor issues that are noticeable, but not game breaking, LOS is a problem.

13. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

Gave up on ironman for now and playing through classic.. ..got to my first terror mission, realised i may have to kill some humans in order to stop the chrysalids from totally owning me on the map lol.. ..talk about putting alot of responsibility in your lap :p

p.s who was it that said you can buy satellites even when they are greyed out? I cant get any satellites yet :(

14. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

You can buy satellites whenever you have the money. You can't deploy them until you have enough Uplink/Nexus capacity to support them.

15. Fox

Brutal. I like it. :)

16. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

Nothing like serving the public, eh! :twisted:

17. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

Just completed it on Normal (Ironman) - Great Game!

18. Dressy

Dressy Guest

I'm gutted and need a pick me up.

Playing on Ironman classic, hadn't lost a soldier for something like 5 missions. Been running the lightening reflex Assault guy out in the open to the edge of his blue movement. If he spots enemies, my range guys take them out before he finishes his turn. Or if they don't, he runs back into full cover.

Anyway, ran him forward to an open street towards one skinny man. No reds popped up so I press assault and gun and run again to finish the red off. The very next square 4 more enemies popped up and he had no where to hide and the other guys were overwhelmed (some BS shots mind you). It was a really important abduction mission and due to the failure, I lost Europe with nothing to show for it.

Gutted. Will have to start again, grrrr.

19. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

That's XCOM.

20. Fox

Im not bitchin about classic mode, but i dont remember so many people having to start over so many times in the 'real' classics.

They should call it "classic on steroids".