XCOM Enemy Unknown [Oct 2012]

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Drac, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Monde

Monde Well-Known Member

OH HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!

2. Dressy

Dressy Guest

Proceeding really well in my classic ironman mode. I have two Colonial's and the other two are majors. Finding (touch wood) that the going is much easier once your squad and equipment are upgraded. I also went in with a plan. I Consciously said to myself that I was only going to protect the countries on the left of the Sat screen, bugger the rest. So now I have almost all the left countries with sat's, the majority of them are at blue level. I lost all but two countries on the right, but they are also blue.

3. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

I just restarted my 3rd game on Normal. The first time I had way too many countries in panic mode, so I started over. Then I was defeated in my second attempt. On my newest attempt I'm trying to get as many satellites up as possible.

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

Come on patch! I'm waiting for it to start my next game...

5. begbie

begbie Active Member

Well, I think I'm up to my 25th classic ironman game, most of which haven't made it past the first 2 months.

Had a couple of good runs up to about mutons/discs before getting slaughtered.

I found this research chart - http://i.imgur.com/7Cqxm.jpg

A couple of other hints/tips I've found helpful for the early game (or at least as far as I've found it:

• Reseach alien materils before you recruit any new rookies - if you have, they all join you with two extra health.
    • Get Carapace armour as soon as you can - if nothing else it makes that first terror mission a bit easier.
    • Interrogate a sectoid as early as possible for the 50% research credit on beam weapons (mutons need more than those flimsy automatic weapons).
    • Don't be afraid to use grenades. Weapon fragmants are nice. Keeping troops alive to make the most of the next promotion is better.

RnR likes this.
  6. DangerMouse

New patch has been released... time to kill some Aliens again :)

7. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Im doing quite well in ironman classic. Ive got all my countries after three months, good cash flow but im losing one or two soldiers per mission and that is making missions hard. Im unsure if this has me behind the curve or not at this point.

8. Fox

Can I take that back. :(

I have heaps of money and every facility anyone could dream for but I lost my crack squad so now I've got all rookies. I lost my rookie squad twice. That means I've lost my entire squad three times over now. :(

I'll persist but all I can do now is shoot down craft. I can't even take out a squad of thin men. I am researching titan armour so maybe I can build them up again.

9. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

Oops.

10. Dressy

Dressy Guest

Have you payed for the rookies are automatically promoted in the officers HQ (whatever its called)?

11. Fox

Yeah, but units dont get a descent hitrate till they are sergeants. This means i cant win any missions. :(

12. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

Honestly, I can't wait to play this, its near the top of my list of games I actually want to play..Up there is also the newly released BLOPS2 and Im still crawling my way through Men Of War, so im loving all the stories you guys are posting keep it up :D

13. begbie

begbie Active Member

you could try loading up with light plasma rifles, scopes, rockets and alien grenades and playing through really really slowly :)

I have about 4 well developed characters and I keep trying to blood new rookies but they keep dying. Annoyingly it is almost always my support and snipers that keep dying leaving me with large amounts of rookie assaults and heavies. I find myself picking missions just to get experienced soldiers.

I don't hold high hopes though... this is the furthest i've made it yet in classic ironman (only just assaulted the alien base) and I can hear ominous music in the background...

14. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

Funny how experienced Support (medic) guys seem to be really hard to come by.
    I run a team of six, without any Heavy class.
    Two Snipers with squad sight
    Two Assaults with arc throwers
    Two Support with medic kits and alien grenades (deep pockets)

Once you have plasma weapons you no longer need the damage dealing ability of the Heavy. The second sniper is too useful.

15. Dressy

Dressy Guest

I find the heavies capacity to fire two shots per turn Awsome. Plus the rocker launcher is very handy at times. That's just my style though.

16. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

The only times I run without a Heavy is when they're in for Psi-testing :p

The double fire is, as you say Dressy, far too powerful to do without - and although I rarely use the rocket launcher, it can be a very powerful tactical tool in opening new doorways :p

The first time I came up agains the big boss mind controlling four-armed thingie, I blew a hole in the wall right behind him, softened him up with my support dudes, cleared the heavy mutons with my snipers and stormed in with my assault shock troopers and zapped the bugger! :D Rockets are not to be undervalued :p

17. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

My snipers and support guys get free shots in a number of circumstances - the sniper is especially useful, as any enemy in open ground is a free shot. Combine this with the "flush" ability of the assault and you have a winning combo.

18. Atua

Atua Active Member

In other news, I am still at the penultimate stage of my first game (normal), just before the Templeship. I don't want to do the Templeship yet as I want to get my research achievements, but waiting for a battleship to appear (I had one appear, but had no Firestorms in the area, and it got away) is frustrating. On the plus side, I have something like 10-15 colonels, 6 of which are fully psi advanced.

This means missions are ridiculously easy, running around mind controlling the enemies.

19. DangerMouse

But its fun isnt it! :twisted:

20. Atua

Atua Active Member

It is fun yes. But I'm going to get lazy and have a rude shock when Ironman Classic comes around ;-)