XCOM Enemy Unknown [Oct 2012]

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Drac, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Dressy

Dressy Guest

OMG! the panic thing is such chaos. I love it when they panic and they shoot an alien dead whilst out of their minds, but couldnt do it for the previous two turns! I've also had a triangle of three soldiers all shooting each other because they were panicing. Despite the serious of the situation, I was laughing at them in spite of myself (reminded me of my kids, 'he hit me first Dad').

2. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Bite the bullet man. :) I may only have played three hours, but I wasn't going to play an XCOM game on anything but Classic Ironman. At least that was one thing they DID get right! If you come out of a mission with half your squad you consider it a good mission!

3. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

Im about 2 months into my CI game.

Its brutal but oh so much fun. I love a good hard game. 7 restarts so far - 2 loses and 5 "no chance from here on in" failures.

I generally run the following squad (only take 5 or 6 depending on mission):
    Squadsight Sniper "Shadow" - DGG, and ITZ. Get him high and dry and let him shoot everyone.
    Assault "Scout/Tank" - defensive bonus and flush. This guy scouts primarily. Assault rifle instead of shotty, with +HP items. Most effective in room sweeping missions.
    Support Heavy "Duke" - Suppresion and holo-targeting and grenadier. Equip grenades and dont expect to shoot anything regularly - just make it easier for everyone else.
    Heavy Ordanace "Rambo" - Rockets and grenades x2 .... blow stuff up .... simple.
    Killer Assault "Honey Badger" - Shotgun and all crit chance+damage bonus. Titan armor then ghost when available. Last to move, everymove is a kill.
    Scout Medic :"Angel" - simple enough. Speed and medic skills.
    Support Sentinal "All Day"- Mid range fighter. Equip scope and Arcthrower for captures. Take all the overwatch bonuses. Skeleton armor is key here to reach good overwatch positions and get there quick.
    Scout Sniper "Wolf" - Alternative to Assault scout. Can move and shoot, takes gunslinger and reveal grenade. Most effective is open field roles as he can do both long to short range. Ghost armor and skeleton armor is great.

Ive been starting in Europ to get my 2x2 Workshop bonus as quick as possible. Asia then USA is next, while keeping the big money types happy. A good tip is to keep a few satilites in reserve until the day before the council meeting and using them on any 5 Panic nations to keep them in the council.

4. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Loving it. Came up against my first (dunno what it's called, but it's like a Mutor but with razor claws??) bad boy with uuber health last night. Of course he didn't spawn alone, and I'd just cleared out three mutors (if that's what they're called)... thought I was gone for sure, but I managed to soften him up with accurate sniping (intimidated) and overwatch fire. Led him into a cone of overlapping fields, and he went down without getting within striking range :)

Don't think I'll be so lucky next time!

I yell at my Sniper Colonel every time he misses a sitter, but I praise him like a messiah when he pulls a running overwatch or "squad sighted" shot from halfway across the map :p

ReaperSmurf likes this.
  5. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

6. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

The problem I have with it is the amount of time it takes to play a game, to success or failure, whilst I'm still learning. I considered just playing a normal Classic game but have compromised and I've been "cheating" by backing up my save every now and again. :p

I will eventually finish a Classic Ironman without cheating but for now I'm not sure I want to dedicate the time when I have Borderlands 2 DLC to check out and Dishonored waiting for me to play too.

I've been starting in Asia so I can get up to a squad of 6 ASAP. The current playthrough I'm trying to save loosing any nations with satellites but I'm not sure that's going to work too well since the cash isn't coming in fast enough.

Mutons are the green guys, and the Berserker is the red guy with claws you're talking about. He's damn scary for sure.

7. Dressy

Dressy Guest

The Berserker is fun. If you have set your squadies up right, you can kite him all over the battlefield to he dies ;-)

8. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Normal is too easy. Ill have to go back to CI mode with my new skills. The strategic side is crucial in CI mode and an early slip up means doom, as already noted here.

9. Rourke

Rourke Elder Scrolls Online Officer

I completed it fairly quickly on normal, but classic is quite a bit of a step up in difficulty, I've just managed to get my hyperwave relay online but my regular interceptors arent up to the task of actually shooting down an overseer yet, need to upgrade to firestorms.

On the plus side, I now have a pretty strong stable of soldiers to draw from and have full sets of titan armour and plasma weapons, so ground missions are e4asy enough now as long as I don't get too impatient and move too far forward too quickly and i've only lost Canada, the US and Japan. My inability to shoot down UFOs tho is starting to really cripple me, really wish I hadn't sold so many UFO power supplies and flight computers early game now...still, I needed the cash then more.

I have to say tho, I have reloaded a LOT of times if a mission goes wahoonie-shaped and I do NOT look forward to moving on to classic Ironman, not at all...

10. Monde

Monde Well-Known Member

The problem is when you have 4 of them bearing down on you and you only have laser weapons.

11. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

I've had quite a bit of Berserker fun tonight. It's kind of like Ping Pong with a big red ball. :) I also had another mission where I lured him in range of the squaddie with the Arc Thrower and managed to stun one. :D

I also changed by mind about CI. I decided to keep playing one of my original attempts without doing backups. I still hold the US, Europe and half of Asia (which means I lost the continent bonus). I've just hit September and my first Sectopod. Lost my Sniper to him and he was my 2nd Sniper after I lost my Major due to a stupid move triggering Heavy Floaters when I shouldn't have.

I have managed to get a Demon with Laser Cannons in each of the 3 remaining continents and have just got to the point where everyone has Plasma weapons and Titan armor. My sniper even has Archangel Armor with Advanced Flight researched and my only Colonel is an Assault that's just received an Alloy Cannon to play with.

So I'm not doing too badly, but I haven't assaulted the Alien Base yet. I'm trying to save that for when I NEED to in order to reduce panic.

I'm still a bit dubious about some of the "spawns" where aliens just appear out of thin air, sometimes in waves, but I guess it just adds to the challenge. I've had them appear right next to one of my soldiers though so not sure if that's a stupid game mechanic or a bug.

I'm still yet to try a SHIV but built an Alloy one and researched it up so might have to try and remember to take it on a mission at some stage.

1 person likes this.
  12. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

Hello fellow Toggers. I'm looking to pick up this game. I have a few questions (I haven't read through all 18 pages, I'm sorry) I was hoping you could answer for me please:

Q - I know that the game can be purchased via STEAM, I plan on getting a boxed copy, does the game require STEAM to validate? I hate games that require a constant internet connection, I'm hoping that this game does NOT require a persistent internet connection.

Q - How is the PC version? I have to assume that it is a native PC game, and not a console port, but these days you can never tell.

Q - I'm assuming that it is a smarter Starcraft 2? I'm sure you're all cringing, but I've read a view reviews and watched a couple, is it similar to S2? But different enough due to added depth, etc?

That is all for now, thank you!

*************EDIT - well, I bought it, lol, I want something to play this weekend. I also bought the Brady Games Guide, which I know I will regret since they haven't made a good gaming guide in over 10 years. But I like reading about the game when I'm not playing it. Sooooo - expect more questions.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  13. Trimethicon

Question - I got the Special Edition, what is in the Special Edition that makes it special?

[​IMG]

14. ReaperSmurf

ReaperSmurf ARMA Captain

Steam required for validation, not sure if it is persistent after that. I don't think so.

Interface has console-like elements, but generally okay. Given it's turn-based there is no rush to find the correct button/command.

Nothing like Starcraft 2. This is squad-oriented turn-based strategy, with an overarching tech and base management component. To be clear - it's not RTS - the combat is all turn-based.

You get access to some customisation options on your soldiers, including an exclusive hair-style adapted from the original game. Nothing that changes the game itself.

Trimethicon likes this.
  15. Battle Pope

Battle Pope Well-Known Member

Found normal level a bit to easy so swithched to classic using the "Warspace Extension" from the XCOM nexus link posted earlier. Made it through the first mission with one guy seriously wounded and he is out of action for 44 days! :)

Has a comical situation last night of a run'n'gun assaulter charging up to a desk with a sectoid on the other side and missing a point-blank shotgun shot, then hiding while the sectoid missed it's shot and then my assault guy missed again! On the animation the muzzle of the shotgun was just about touching the sectoids little melon-head.

My sniper eventualy took out the alien.

16. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

Ahhh... dont use a guide. Use the first playthourgh to enjoy the game. Normal mode is quite easy and forgiving. The best way Im finding to play is Classic Ironman. Its really unforgiving so you actually have to think about what you do.

Special edition gets some art books, CDs, the usual fluff and a unique skin for you to customise the look of your squad to 'classic Xcom', apparently its a skin from the old version. I dont have the spec edition so someone may have a better answer.

2 squadsight "in the zone" snipers + 2 heavy shredder rocketeers = dead zerkers.

The more I play Ironman, the more important my Squadsight snipers become. Get 'em high and let 'em shine.

Trimethicon likes this.
  17. Trimethicon

Thank you all!

18. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

Or so I thought. The next mission (mid September) I manage to trigger Muton Elites whilst trying to position for Heavy Floaters and then failed to have my Sniper in position because I forgot he didn't have squad sight yet. :(

End result is that Assault Colonel is dead along with a Heavy and a Sniper Squaddie. On the bright side I now have a Support Colonel that's in the hospital for 4 days but Squaddies even with SCOPEs have a hard time hitting Mutton Elites with their 30% defense so I have a horrible feeling this may be the begging of the end for this playthrough. Unless I can level and protect a core squad fast the Sectoid Commanders, when they appear, will make a mess of things with everyone having such low willpower.

I wish I had one still. :( But I'll agree, and I need to pay more attention to protecting my veterans and sending Squaddies in as fodder. :p

19. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Once validated you can play in offline mode. Actually did this myself a few days ago.

20. Dressy

Dressy Guest

Archangel armour, recommendation?