your ideal MMO would...

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by StrayBee, Sep 23, 2011.

1. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

the main things I would like to see in a MMO...

no levels, just skills... that way at least a beginner character would have some chance against a maxed character and the skills wouldn't add that much extra really but you have to have something to shoot for

totally crafted economy, no uesable drops, make crafting worthwhile and necessary, but like skills, items wouldn't add more than a few percentage points on effectiveness... also need a great deal of variety and nothing looks like crap, make it more a players decsion on what they want to wear not ohhhh... this is the best sword so I have to have it and it looks like everyone elses sword because they have to have it too. Crafting also would include barns, housing, castles, anything anyone would need or want to have, ships, boats, fishing equipment, whatever.

open world PvP with semi-safe zones for player housing and markets, using a consequences for actions that are antisocial, like how about this, if you become notorious for pking, stealing, just being bad in the semi-safe zones, then not only are you flagged evil, but you are flagged permadeath too. Yeah... I like that. No real sanctuaries other than an island on its own called Penal Colony. :) So if you could say get a wild bunch together and ride into town, loot everything and get back to the Penal Colony (which would be across the sea and a long way away), then good for you. If you get killed on the way back or those pissed of peasants you just stole from raid the Penal Colony, then dead is dead for you son. Also, no one would be flagged evil from doing anything outside a semi-safe zone which the Penal Colony wouldn't be either, but it should be defensible if the bad guys build it up. Definitely want seiges and sea warfare. Also need a method for becoming unflagged, but not sure how one would go about it.

some sort of heritage function where your next character can be the son/daughter of one of your other characters, more for RP than anything else, but what could come over is some of the parents rep to the child. So say your first character was in big with the thieves guild, then your next character (their child) would have a higher starting rep based on the parents position. If the parent was just a local thug, then not much. If he was the chapter leader in that city then quite a bit initially.

combat has to be good

and I really prefer a decent graphical style much in the way of AoC. of all the games I have played (and it is pretty much everything in the last 10 years or so) I like AoC the best for environmentals and appearance. It isn't ultra realistic, but stylistically realistic with a very gritty look, and since I played AoC for 2 years it is hard for me to really like anything else now.

2. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Age of Conan tried that "stats on equip doesn't mean much" but they eventually patched it out. Players were finding that there was no point to upgrading their gear because it made so little difference, end game lvl characters were running around with weapons from halfway through their careers and doing just fine.

3. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

yeah I know, I was there, and to be honest, I didn't mind, I wore what I thought looked good but then they took that away and it sucked from my perspective... then they instituted the grind for gear because now you had to have that uber 'insert item here' to move upward and onward... and you know what, they lost even more subs because of that... so then they lowered the grind, but the damage was done.

/Sarcasm And of course everyone knows that the best end game is gear grind /sarcasm

from a devs perspective it is easier than actually created compelling content of course, so that is the easy road for them.

thing is, I personally believe how you play should be more determinate than what you wear, to me that is a better challenge to put in front of players than grind x for y so you can be z.

also, the combat mechanics have to be there to be fun and inciting otherwise you lose anyway because people get bored easily. I absolutely loved the fatalities in AoC. Even after the millioneth time (and I probably am not exaggerating since I did play 10 toons to 80 and then some) of having a fatality, I still chuckled. No game have I played still tickled me like AoC in combat. But I got tired of having to grind to move on. I liked it when I could still wear that cool helmet I got at lvl 32 on my TOS at lvl 80 and didn't feel hindered because it wasn't better than the lvl 80 stuff that didn't look as near cool and to be honest I wasn't really hampered by it... but once the changes came to gear, well then I really did have to get that lvl 80 helmet that I really didn't like and wear it. I really didn't like that.

That is one thing that GW2 is going to get right, or I should at least cover it up. Yeah gear will make a difference, BUT you can change the look of it. Also TOR says that you can mod gear so even though a lvl 10 robe that you like isn't all that at lvl 50, you can mod it so it is. Again, the player gets to choose the look, not the gear. One of the reasons I still like and play Champions Online is that I can make my characters look like how I want them to look and gear doesn't change that. I like that a lot.

But back to the gear issue, gear should be a small part of the overall characters power. AoC was like that and in my opinion a better game for it. Once they instituted the changes because a vocal group wanted it so, they screwed the game for me.

PS: if I sound bitter about AoC well I am but that is no reflection on you Reoh, I always liked and appreciated your comments

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

ok, well this isn't a night to post, seems I put my PS: halfway in the middle, then I couldn't find, then I made another post which then I noticed aforementioned PS. I think I will take a break. :)

5. Valdur

Valdur Well-Known Member

brohawk,Arche Age is almost like what you described and I'm keeping my fingers crossed so that they don't F**** it up.:)

6. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

really, I gave it a glance but didn't really dig into what it was about, I guess I will have to take a second look

7. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

Yeah this has become a big issue for me in MMO's. Somewhere a long the line gear became content. For supposedly open world gameplay MMO's are incredibly streamlined in what you can/can't/should/shouldn't be doing.

8. Scyman

Scyman Getting Started

I agree with the gear issue. In most games you don't associate yourself with your character but with what he/she is wearing. It severely takes away from any immersion.

9. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

I can't really openly answer this question without divulging information im not allowed to, as I am actually currently making my ideal MMO :)

But, the short list is:

Sandbox, and I dont mean an empty sandbox, I mean a sandbox that has all of the tools and toys in it to allow and promote multiple different types and styles of gameplay.
    Huge. There has to be enough room that it isn't crowded, enough that exploration and expeditions are worthwhile, and distances long enough to make setting up trade routes meaningful, and helping each area to build up their own individual community spirits.

Dynamic. Both in the world itself, which must change and adapt over time, but also in its systems. Wandering herds, NPC groups which move around and have their own objectives, world events both large and small, and the ability for the player to truly affect the world around them.

Theres plenty more, but I can't go into them due to NDA :)

Flint

10. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

My ideal MMO would have something more enriching to do in endgame besides Raid progression.

Raid dungeon X so many times, move onto dungeon Y. Lame. Hardly a deep, rich playing experience.

11. Valdur

Valdur Well-Known Member

12. El Tigre

El Tigre Just Joined

I like minecraft's style, but I'd like something more realistic. Like a western frontier type game, where you have to build a town from the ground up, and most of the items and buildings are player manufactured.